Author Topic: 4 mo rolling over & waking up  (Read 988 times)

Offline novamom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 12, 2006, 19:08:37 pm »
My 4 month old boy was sleeping through the night until about 1 week ago.  Now he wakes up twice in the night.
He has rolled over and can't get back to sleep.  Sometimes I can PU/PD, but lately it seems I have to feed him to go back to sleep. 
I have a toddler in the room next to him who is also having sleeping issues.  I let the 4mo cry, but doesn't seem to help.  I'm sure I am a little sensitive to the fact the toddler is in the next room.
The 4 mo was doing so well.  I could put him down for a nap or bedtime and he would put himself to sleep, EVERY TIME!  Now, every time I put him down, he continually rolls over.

HELP!  I AM SO FRUSTRATED!

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Re: 4 mo rolling over & waking up
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 19:54:40 pm »
This isn't going to help, but we had the same problem (except my ds wasn't a good sleeper to begin with).  I've also read on other messages that rolling is one of the biggest developmental sleep-disturbers for many lo's.  Just give him as much time to practice as possible during awake time.   I did find that for a while I had to shh/pat my ds at nap time, and basically hold him from rolling over until he was calm enough to go to sleep.  He would also wake up screaming and stuck on his stomach during the night.  Now he can finally roll over when he wants to, or he will just go back to sleep on his tummy.  Good luck!

Offline novamom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:59:38 am »
Thanks for the kind words.  I started using a sleep positioner - that has helped some.  Although he is still waking up around 12:30pm and I just pu/pd and that usually works.  Then he wakes up at around 3:30 or 4:00am and the only way to get him back to sleep is by feeding him.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to stop the feeding at 3:30 b/c I'm starting a bad habit.

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Re: 4 mo rolling over & waking up
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 12:16:03 pm »
Did he have a night feed before all of this?  If so, he might still need one.  Does he take a full feed?

Are his wakings always at 12:30 and 3:30?  If so, have you thought of using w2s?  They might be habitual wakings.

Offline BoomaF16

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:38:41 am »
Hey Novamom,
I'm a Novadad with a Novamom and daughter of my own.  She did the EXACT SAME THING at about 5 months, so I can empathize.  It's frustrating!  We started by going in and turning her back over and comforting her.  If that didn't work, we'd pick up and console, then back in the crib.  If that didn't work, it was feedin' time.  The thing that seemed to accelerate getting thru the phase was that I was religious about practicing with her every time she woke up.  We'd practice in the crib and on the floor.  Pretty soon (within about 5 days) she was both more comfortable sleeping after rolling over and we even watched her attempting to roll back in her sleep.  Hang in there.  This too shall pass.

Offline Anna & Baby Caleb's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Aren't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 18:27:26 pm »
uh oh...i've been worried about this.  lo is constantly rolling from back to stomach now.  i'll turn to grab a diaper, turn back and ds is on his tummy.  he's quick!! but he can't get back to his back :(  soooo...i'm waiting for this to occur while sleeping! yikes! and he's just started sleeping longer stretches :'( well, he has started waking up every night at 2:37...i'm pretty sure i've seen that number more than once in last week ;D but is this because of new milestone? will it go away, or will i have to be more proactive and try the w2s???  he does seem hungry btw because he does eat...almost 5 oz last night..he had 40z df prior to that at 10:30... and as always has been waking one time between 4-6 for 4-5 oz.  i try in vain to get him to take more during day..he won't.  i will be trying cluster feeds more methodically. any advice, greatly appreciated! 8)