Author Topic: anyone use aptimal 2 for hungry babies, if there little one got colic but hungry  (Read 4839 times)

Offline nenee

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Hi there my 4 wk old seems to be more hungry by the day taking short naps and eating now every hr but not settling for sleeps in between very un settled.  he is a bony lad weighing 9 lb 10 oz at birth and now 11 lb 5 oz! just wanted to know if anyone else used aptimal2 for hungry babies at this age and if ok for their stomach as my little one may have colic, but starting to think hes hungry and thats why he fusses?? I'm also using colif in feeds to help digest the lactose! any advice would be so helpful as not getting any sleep!!! I understand its early days but to feed after hr and not sleep well is not good for him if its easy sorted with a different formula. help!!!

Offline mollynme

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Hi there!

I too have had colic problems with my LO and also reflux ::)  We have tried every milk under the sun now and have recently switched back to aptamil.  I would hold off on the No 2 milk for a while as it IS supposed to be more difficult to digest and at 4weekd your LO is very young to cope with this if his digestive system is not mature enough.  Is he draining the bottles you are giving him? If so have you thought of upping the amount first?  How do you find the coleif by the way? Our DS had explosive poos every feed so it wasn't for us!!!! :o

Jules X
[url=http://lilypie.com][/uLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline nenee

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
hi there
he takes 4 oz a time with colief, and wont take anymore and still hungry 1 or 1 1/2 hr later! they say aptimal 2 is ok from birth but is just casein based so is heavier i agree! hes been fine on the colief hardly poos to be honest and when e does its not hard or explosive so i think its ok for him il try anything to be honest! Just think hes fussing and not sleeping more than 40 mins and fussing due to hunger!

Offline mollynme

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
you may just have to feed him more often!  His tummy is really small right now!  my lo fed every hour or so to start and it took as a while to extend feeds.  Just go with his flow for now and worry about getting his EASY perfect.It will come later on!
Julesx

[url=http://lilypie.com][/uLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline midnightspace

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • my little pixie sparrow Hayley Autumn Rose
Hi  my little girl is 5 months and the health visitor told me to use actimel 2 for her when i said i wanted to try formula feed on her as she is only 13lb  now and is normally b/f  ant that was at 4months 2 weeks . (she wont take the formula though so cant help with the colic question)

Offline JoC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Hi neenee,
you may find aptimel 2 too heavy for little one, i used cow and gate 2, it is heavier than 1 but not as heavy as Aptimil, as i was told this can be too heay at that age. My ds was older when he went onto formula, but kept throwing up 2, but 1 was too light, so i switched to C&G2 and he was great.

Offline AnnaBenwell

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
I breast fed my little 1 for the 1st 4months and then moved him onto Aptimil, the 1 st 1 at four months after about 2 weeks the HV Said for me to change him to Aptimil 2 and i did. This was the worst thing i ever did, he cried for weeks and i couldn't work out why. When i took him back to the hv, she said she thought it might be the milk. My ds was 5 months by then and a huge baby, we used colief to. But after just 2 or 3 days on his new milk, he was like a different baby. We use sma staydown milk(its easy for babies to digest) I know all babies are different, but thought i would share this with you. HTH Anna
Mum 2 three Boys Jack, Sam and Harry

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
I have to agree with others.. that Aptamil 2 may be too much for your LO to handle at the mo..

My son was on Aptamil 1 from birth and when he got to about 2 months he was still needing to feed every 2 hours or so and had mild colic - so I decided to try the Aptamil for hungrier babies.. it was such a mistake.. the milk was far too much for him to handle.. it made his colic far far worse and left him constipated and curled up in pain poor baby.. it was just too harsh for his little system.

I moved to using Comfort by Cow and Gate (then called Omneo Comfort) and saw such a transformation. Woo became more settled and feeds moved apart to 3 hours then 4.. it was such a blessing.. I coupled that with Colief which itself made a huge difference..

I have posted loads in the past about how I used Comfort and colief and infacol to help Woo with his feeding pattern and colic.. if you want any more info just shout xxx

Offline nenee

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
thanks for that its defiantly made my mind up, I'm happy to stay on the comfort and colief. i actually rang the cow and gate helpline about the formula for advice, as he was only taking 2 ozs mainly at feeds with gaviscon and colief and was starving by 1 1/2 hrs later, she advised me that the gaviscon was making him tired and filling him up short term but leaving him hungry after the hr, and stopping him taking more ozs! she said to see what he would be like with just the comfort and colief (as I told her he was still spitting up with the gaviscon and it made no difference at all to his reflux!) so today i did not add the gaviscon and now the last 4 feeds have been so much better instead of taking 2 ozs he took 4 to 5 ozs and has been totally different, his naps have been longer and hes more content and has been going 2 1/2 to 3 hrs, I cant believe it, plus his spitting up is exactly the same without the gaviscon so i wont bother in future! iv also been using the dr brown bottles (as recommended by other mums in posts)with the colief and taking out the gaviscon, ive seen an immediate change,  i just hope hes not having a good day and it carries on, il have to see!  The main thing is he seems happier and not in so much pain (I think he has colic and the colief is defo working, cross everything don't want to jinx things!).  I'm so glad i did not go down the aptimal 2 route and thank you all for advising me not too" hurrah for this brilliant website!

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Glad to hear you are reaching a plan.. the comfort, colief and infacol strategy really transformed William when he was tiny.. I hope it works well for you!

Did they warn you about the change in poo colour and smell when you use comfort at first?? Its perfectly normal for your LO to have green very eggy smelling poo for a week or so when they go onto comfort.. but persevere and you will reap the benefits.

H xxx