Author Topic: milk intake for 1 year old  (Read 18140 times)

Offline mjohnson33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 14:11:26 pm »
Just a little last night. I was able to get a 4 oz bottle in before bed and he just had 6oz this morning!! So hopefully that helps. I am gonna try to feed him some fiberous jar food this morning too. He was pushing and farting before we got up. Not sure if that'd good or bad....

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: milk intake for 1 year old
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 21:41:52 pm »
Be careful with the high fibre foods if he isn't taking in much liquid to help digest the fibre... it can constipate him more... I would stick to things like pears, really ripe bananas (like soft and skins are mostly brown), peaches, apricots...

And of course, water/juice... will he drink pear juice?  It can be more effective than prune juice for pooper issues!

I would think that pushing and farting are signs that things are moving in the right direction :)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 22:08:50 pm »
He has gone 3 times today!! I am so happy!! What do u recommend for keeping things moving?  I am hoping to avoid this hospital mess!!

He is now drinking and eating like normal! :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 04:27:09 am »
FANTASTIC!!!  That's so great!

As long as he is eating and drinking like normal, things are much improved...

I would try to get some ripe pears (or green ones and leave them in a paper bag for a day or so to speed them up!)... give him cubes with every meal and with snacks too... A loves them and they are great for keeping things moving... grapes are another one that is good for the pooper!  I cut them into quarters and she has done great with them for month or more now.. Super ripe bananas are fine too...

I would avoid - high fibre things like peas, prunes, and cereals for now... unless he is drinking a good amount of water (at least 2 ozs with a meal)...   also, apples and carrots can cause things to slow down so limit them too.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2012, 04:33:11 am »
Ok sounds good. I am going to keep pumping him full of meds too until he starts going real watery. He really has a thirst....he's been having at least 2oz w each meal or right after. I've been trying to give him a little more jukce too to entice the consumption.  I hope this works!!!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2012, 04:37:53 am »
LOL!  I have found that Alexandra will drain her sippy if I use about 2 ozs of Happy Planet Apricot/Peach with the water ;)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2012, 04:38:48 am »
I also wanted to ask u....he's not really pooping anything hard...does that come in time of is it possible the meds softened it up?? Dr said he's literally full of poop....so it could take a while to clean out right?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2012, 15:30:00 pm »
He kept waking this morning and crying so I can only imagine his belly hurt. So I gave him a suppository and he filled a diaper!! Is there any foods I should stay away from? I figured I would b safe w meats veggies and fruits....minus carrots and bananas....hopefully that suppository cleared some things out.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2012, 21:59:52 pm »
Re: no hard poops - the Miralax works by drawing water into his bowels so it will soften what is in there :)

I would avoid red meat/pork as they are hard to digest... applesauce is constipating...

YAY for the suppository doing some good work!  I would do it again tomorrow morning ;)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2012, 22:08:13 pm »
Ok great!  He had 2 really good full diapers after the suppository and now its back to alot of water mixed with a little poop. I guess it comes in waves??

I will have to get more suppositories as I used my last one today. I use the liquid ones BC anytime I have tried the cone sahpe one they come right back out.  Is there a trick to getting them to stay in?  Btw, this is all very traumatic for him and I hate doing it!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:59 am »
LOL!  There is a trick to the glycerine ones ;)  I learned how to do it when A was in the hospital - the doc there was awesome!

Easiest way to do it is to lie him on his back - have a few toys/books to amuse him while it melts... I used to put A on our bed novelty and something different for her to look at).  Lay him on his back and pull his feet up towards his face... this will make his little bum easily accessible... push it in slowly - all the way... once you get to the very end of it, give it a little wiggle and push it in past his anus... wait a few seconds to see if you got it right in... if you did, it will stay put, if not, it will start to come out... push it back in and wiggle again... the wiggle stimulates the rectal muscles to relax :)  It helps to squeeze his little bum cheeks together and push upwards too just to be sure it is in past his anus...

Put his diaper back on - I always just had A laying on top of one so that I could easily pull it up and fasten it without moving her too much... I found that keeping her on her back and playing with toys or reading books above her worked best. 

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2012, 14:57:32 pm »
Well, that would be great it Cole didnt think I was killing him!! :(  As soon as I touch his butt he knows what is happening.  He starts screaming bloody murder and tightens his butt before I even put it in there.  :(  He even hates diaper changes now.  As soon as I go to take him in there he freaks out thinking I am going to torture him!! :(  Poor baby!!!!  I didnt give him one this morning...I am going to wait and see how his day is with my mom and then if he doesnt go I will give him a suppository after I get off work.  I hate being away from him when he is sick.  :(

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2012, 15:55:42 pm »
Also, wanted to add...yesterday, he filled two diapers like I mentioned before in the morning. Then just two little squirts after that, then no more after about 3pm.....is that wierd??

Today, he went one time so far....my mom said it was about the size of your first and kinda hard (which I imagine is old poop).  So thats good he went without the suppository.  I gave him 4tsp of miralax in am bottle with 7ml of lactulose (Its a liquid medicine like miralax that I feel is more effective than the miralax) I am still giving him the laxative at night as well.  Anyway, my question is do you think I should give him a suppository at night?? Its hard for me to do in the morning b/c of time and I hate to leave him after I do it to go to work.  If he only goes today like yesterday should I give him a suppository in the pm? 

Also, I tried grapes and he doesnt like them!!!!  What a wierdo!! LOL

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2012, 17:19:42 pm »
Who doesn't love grapes!  Weird kid LOL!

I would still do the supp as night as it might help him sleep better if there are not poops to bug him, KWIM?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2012, 17:36:10 pm »
Gotcha!!!  I just hate to torture him with the supp if I dont have to!! :(  Do you think he still needs assistance to get out the poop of a supp??  How does it actually work??

What is your take on the stimulant laxative?? The doctor wants me to give it at night but I wonder if first thing in the morning would be better......so then he could work on the poop all day vs at night when he is trying to sleep???  But then maybe all the other medicine would be too much during the day too??

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it, I think things are starting to move....if he continues to go like this then I will wait a few more days and get an xray on friday to see how he is doing on clearing out. Hope I am not bothering you...

So out of the 4 times he went yesterday, two were good consistency and the other 2(later ones) were alot of water mixed with a little poop.....what do you think about that??

Also do you think its best for the suppository right when I get off work around 5pm or wait closer to bedtime??
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 18:44:39 pm by mjohnson33 »