Author Topic: Overexcited 28mo! UT or OT?  (Read 3044 times)

Offline labrodyk

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Overexcited 28mo! UT or OT?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 09:19:20 am »
Thanks again Naomi! He most definitely does not handle OT well.

So far, no tacking on which is making things quite hard. Awake from shortly after 6 each morning. Nap today was at 2.24-2.44 on the lounge again. Tried to get him to sleep during movie but he ADORES TV so that doesn't seem to be happening. He also detests being woken and cries and holds onto me for ages. I have a nice snack ready when I wake him but he's a real demon. He does perk up eventually but is quite overexcited and I suspect overtired. Is in bed at 7 and asleep by 7.20.

Should I be looking at offering a big sleep every second day or will that not work?

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 19:24:12 pm »
Today is going to be a long day - he woke at 5am crying/calling out then up out of bed crying from 6.10. Got him to go back to bed but he was quite upset. He settled pretty quickly but isn't falling back to sleep.

He's clearly not getting anywhere near the sleep he needs based on his mood :( particularly since he says "mummy, I'm REALLY tired" about 50 times a day!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 21:07:14 pm by labrodyk »

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 22:15:02 pm »
Oh bless him, and poor you. It will take him some time to adjust to the changes, keep going if you can for a few more days.

I can't see that he will do well with some NNDs and some long nap days, I'm not sure that will be enough to help him lengthen his nights, which I really believe is what he needs to get over the OT.

Hang on in there sweetie, we can reassess in a week. (((Hugs)))
~ Naomi ~

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:08 am »
Sorry Naomi, I know we said evaluate in a week but I'm really worried about my little boy.

Went to playgroup today and everyone kept commenting how pale he looked and the massive black circles under his eyes. He absolutely collapsed on the lounge at 1.15 and I woke him after 20mins. Had meltdown after meltdown from about 5pm and was in bed at 6.35 - asleep in 10 mins.

It seems like with a long nap or a short nap our wakeups are the same and I don't think if that he's ever going to extend those nights. I can keep trying but I just feel that H is getting more and more tired by the day and little tasks are becoming really difficult. Eating, not getting to the toilet when he's normally amazing, uncoordinated playing and just says he wants to go to bed all the time.

Just looking at H you can tell he's really struggling and I feel useless and completely at a loss of what to do. Part of me just wants to let him sleep and work out something that works for him, so long as he's happy although I've never been very good at that.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 20:55:49 pm »
This is difficult for us, as honestly I do want to say to keep pushing on through, children do eventually (when super super tired) actually sleep. I do think you could be just round the corner from it clicking and getting to him adjusting to the new pattern.

But, and this is the main problem, we aren't with you, we don't know your DS, and we can't see what you're seeing. At some point you must follow your mummy instinct, and I wouldn't want to tell you to ignore that.

Looking back at our conversations about your DS's sleep over the past months (possibly almost a year) he has never really been that well rested and perhaps my view that he actually is quite LSN and needs less (or no) day sleep is correct. Perhaps the cat nap is actually more trouble than it is worth. But I don't know.

What do you want to do?
~ Naomi ~

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 21:38:10 pm »
Thanks Naomi, It really is so hard because I see him and his behaviour and it's so easy to second guess myself. DH is clearly of the belief that he needs a really good nap in the day based on his mood.

He was awake at 6.30 again when I checked him but clearly awake for some time before that as he woke at 4.30 crying but eventually self settled.

I don't know what to do but my gut is saying that he needs a big sleep. His nights aren't lengthening. I'm going to have bedtime shennanigans but I don't know what is worse. Not being able enjoy him and get through the day, or an hour of fluffing around and hopping out of bed.

Thank you so much for the continued support. xo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:33:06 am by labrodyk »

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 09:06:43 am »
Can you hold out for a few more days - you've managed so far with this and it was be a shame to take a backwards step without havering seen if this could really help. Whatever you decide, we're here for you xx
~ Naomi ~