Author Topic: Single mum of 2 - 15mth old having severe night wakings - please help  (Read 1127 times)

Offline maraya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Its 2am and I am sitting here listening to my 15mth old scream his head off. I'm at my wits end. I have only slept 2hrs in two nights. Have had to walk out and let him cry - in the hope that he just gets it that he needs to go to sleep. This last week he has been waking up to 5 times a night, and screams blue murder each time he wakes. It takes me 1/2hr to 2hrs to settle him again, and each time I lift my hand off him he starts screaming again. I am a single mother of two, and am absolutely shattered. With no support and no chance for rest during the day I can't go on. We are all suffering as a result.
His day sleeps are also all over the place, gone from 2 x 1.5hr naps to 2 x 45 min naps. I thought he might be ready for 2/1 transition, but the few times that I have tried he has only napped for 45 minutes anyway and had to have an early afternoon one to make it up. Now his naps are based around the fact that he's not getting sleep at night, a real mess.
His bedtime ritual is the same, nothing else has changed. Is this separation anxiety? He is teething, but he has always up until this point fussed through the night and 90% of the time resettled himself. On the odd occasion I would have to get up, and it would always take 1.5 - 2hrs to resettle him because each time I would think he was asleep and take myself back to bed, he would startle and scream again. That was OK once or twice a week, but now it is 3-5 times a night.
Until this started he was doing a 4-4.5hr easy.
I'm at a loss.. please help?

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Single mum of 2 - 15mth old having severe night wakings - please help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 15:53:25 pm »
Hey hun. It's going to be OK. And it is OK to walk out in the interest of keeping your head cool so things don't escalate out of control. You must be just exhausted, can we help you come up with a plan that doesn't involve your LO being left alone to cry? That will make things so much worse now and later. I am going to move you over to our Toddler Sleep, as your LO is more than 1 year old. The ladies over there are just fantastic and we will be with you the whole way. You WILL sleep again and we are here to help. Can you answer these questions?

Any sign of teeth? Any reflux or other discomfort at play? Has he ever been an independent sleeper? How is he going to sleep for naps and BT? Please post a typical day of when he wakes, sleeps, eats and so on.

It will be OK

Maryn

[/url]

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 17:08:05 pm »
(((Hugs))) hon...I am at work right now but popped on and saw this. Wondering the same things as Maryn asked and also if perhaps he is ready for the 2-1 but needs a bit of time to settle into it and get longer naps?
Heidi

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 18:19:39 pm »
(((Hugs))) have you had his ears checked? My boys did this when an ear infection was present, I think it's worth checking if things are really tough.

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 00:45:16 am »
The other ladies have asked some important questions, so I'll just drop off some (((((hugs)))))) and hope for some sleep for you soon.

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 14:44:17 pm »
Hey Maraya,

How are you doing?

Hena xx

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 19:26:43 pm »
Hey there, hoping the issue has resolved itself with the help of the ladies questions above. Hope you're all caught up on sleep now.

I have to point out that 4.5 hour EASY is a really low A time for a 15 mo.  A lot of his NWs might be to do with under-tiredness.  Sounds like on this occasion he was in pain, or something else was going on, but once things have settled down, you need to look again at his routine. 

HTH.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline mommybear!

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:15:31 am »
That is exhausting and stressful for all. Hugs. Here are some of my calming techniques for when I don't think I can go on.  A big one...peppermint tea.  Even just taking a moment and smelling the tea bag.  For in the moment trying to get lo to go back to sleep... Stop and think of everything you like.  Even if you haven't gotten to do it in forever, just think about all those moments you enjoyed in the past.  Relive them, feel them, let them in, pretend you are back there.  Don't stop, just keep searching your mind for more moments.  The calmer you are the calmer your lo.  And remember the end goal is relaxing the lo enough to fall asleep.  The best way to do that is to relax yourself.  Easier said then done, but you... Can. Do. It.