Author Topic: Anyone done the 1-0 with a toddler who WILL nap?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Anyone done the 1-0 with a toddler who WILL nap?
« on: February 28, 2015, 06:18:58 am »
As the title says really.... Jack is LSN and has just had a big A leap I think cos he's shortening his nights now and only capping his nap makes them better.  However, we're now down to a 30 minute capped nap and nights are starting to shorten again. We're also getting some slight resistance to BT which is very unusual for him.

Anyway, he'll always take a nap if offered one, so I'm not sure where to go next? Lily would clearly refuse a nap so I let her lead,  but I don't think that'll work here. Anyone had similar and what did you do?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Anyone done the 1-0 with a toddler who WILL nap?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:56:16 am »
He's a little tinker, isn't he?

I'd be tempted just to go for it, maybe allowing him a nap every second day or so, then every third, every fourth etc until he can cope with no nap at all.

Can you set things up so you do something quiet after lunch instead of offering the nap? We cuddled on the sofa in front of a DVD and sometimes he's drop off, sometimes not. He'd had a rest either way, and it's still something we do today to catch up after a busy week.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 14:13:51 pm »
Yes, he's a real monkey!  The 2-1 went like this too - lots of EWs as the main sign he was napping too much.  He hasn't napped at nursery for a few months now, which is two consecutive days a week, so perhaps I'll give him a couple of nap days and aim for a NND on Friday or Saturday, depending on what we're up to. He copes well with NNDs and generally  (though not always) has a better and longer sleep those nights. 

I agree with quiet time - lily dropped her nap at 2 and a quarter but needed quiet time most days until about 4.5. I'll make sure I get jack into the routine of it too.

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 19:45:26 pm »
Hiya LL&J hope you are well!

Not much advice sorry!! But just wanted to say happy birthday to J for next week! 2 😭😭😭

I still cant beleive how low sleep needs he is 😱

Sounds like a few NND would be best idea going forward for him tho xx

Jody
 xx

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:02:44 am »
Martha would always nap. We started by alternating nap and no nap days and then built it up until she was only napping once in the week and once at weekend and then just once and then dropped it completely x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:24:56 am »
Thanks Becky - good to hear from someone else who has had to force NNDs.  How did you cope with car  / buggy trips after lunch on NNDs though?! I keep thinking I'm going to end up a hermit! I guess if I keep things local in the afternoon and he walks rather than uses the buggy we'll get by.

And hi jodes!  :D I miss our birth club, there's been a few times I've wanted to say hi. Hope you're all ok and are looking forward to the birthday celebrations in your house too?  X

P.s. Meant to say, macie is looking ultra cute in your avatar  :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:26:46 am by LovelyLilyandJack »

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 15:25:49 pm »
Hey hun!  Just wanted to say we are in the same boat with C, surprise surprise  ;)

She is doing 30-40min naps and is starting to put up more of a fuss at bedtime.  She is a BEAR when I wake her from her nap, and then fights at bedtime  ::)  I just cant see being able to cut her nap shorter, so I think I am going to have to throw in no nap days too...and it's so cold here, we can hardly go outside, I have nothing to do with this no napping kid  :'(

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 20:55:02 pm »
Lol, our two have always done the same things at the same time, tink! Except you've always had BT resistance and we've always had EWing.... Jack doesn't particularly mind being woken from his nap but is in a very deep sleep between 20 and 30 minutes so I often can't cap at less than 30 minutes cos I can't physically wake him before then! The odd time I've managed he does a bit better at night, but NNDs are probably the way to go now, yes.

That's tough if you can't get out for long. How long do you have til it should warm up a bit? Is C any happier being woken from a car nap? J seems to be, so we're doing that a bit more now so we can get out at least, and sometimes manage to cap a bit more.

Offline TB9

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 21:32:43 pm »
Yes, she had a car snooze today for about 5min and was ok.  She is usually ok napoing in the car or stroller for anything kess than 20min.  More than 20min and she gets angry

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 16:15:42 pm »
Ladies! I'm right behind you and Tink- again! I am just following along with you again because mine is always just a step behind. Looks like we are beginning the 1-0 as well. We aren't quite where you all are with dropping fully but absolutely have to cap at an hour max...

Mine still naps too and loves napping so it'll be tricky- just like J again ;)

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 06:42:16 am »
Good to see you again Mandy! I had to cap to an hour max with lily from 20 months and she was done with her nap by 27 months so I'm sure you're right....

Jack has had 2 consecutive NNDs this week and a 30 minute nap yesterday. Not sure whether to offer a nap today or not.  He'd manage fine without I think. I suppose I'll see how he goes. He had an amazing night after his first NND this week so it's actually quite tempting to skip naps more often....!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:01 am »
Oh yes, do! Totally build on a good night with another NND. After all, it's the right direction of travel.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 17:05:45 pm »
Wow! I'm going to be following you soon enough and will start the NNDs. Yikes! I'm so glad J has adjusted so nicely to it though!! Yay for you! Now you won't even have to mess with naps and just enjoy the nice, long nights :)

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 20:03:10 pm »
I know, I'll be glad to see the back of naps tbh - they've been more streesful than restful in this house!  He did nap in the end cos we were in the car at 2ish, but I might make tomorrow a NND cos we have friends coming and no plans far from home.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 07:37:01 am »
How are things going??

It's chaos over here. I've capped naps at an hour but having crazy 14 hours days and less than 10 hour nights with tons of NWs....all of this happened out of nowhere. DS was normally gradual with changes so this is just odd and I am not confident in what I'm doing....plus exhausted from no sleep.

What does Jacks day look like now and is he sleeping better?

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 08:31:59 am »
Yeah, nights are better.  Not mega long but no 5.30 starts for a while and no BT resistance.  We did 40-45 minute naps for a while, mandy, if that helps.  Now we're on 2-3 NNDs a week and this on nap days :

WU: 6
Nap: 25 - 30 minutes  (certainly no more) at 1 or  1.30. Always awake by 2.
BT: 7

So ok at the moment. I just do a slightly EBT on NNDs cos J doesn't really tack on so NNDs look very similar but without the nap.

One thing I found when we moved down from a 1hr nap was that I had to be really careful when I offered a nap.  He'd take one any time around lunch really, but if he slept too early he'd be really unsettled or just plain awake from 4ish. The same amount of sleep half an hour later helped that, but really I had to go later and shorter to get decent nights.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 12:06:12 pm »
So glad you're nights are improving! That is what's killing me over here.

I think I'm on the same boat with the naps needing to be pushed later in the day. A will nap anywhere from 12:00/1:00 without resistance. But I'm wondering if that longer awake time before bed is what's causing some NWs. His NW are happy and chatty too which throws me off.

So if you did a later, shorter nap, your nights were better? Can you send me and example? Sorry, I am going on just a few hours of sleep (which always makes these sleep issues so much worse!)

Offline TB9

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 12:16:50 pm »
DD2 stopped fighting bedtime as much, so I haven't had to do another no nap day, yay!  I do have to force the nap...I'm holding her until she is fully asleep  :(  But she falls asleep on her own for bedtime, and sleeps all night most nights, so I think its just necessary to AP the nap until its gone!

Mandy - If it helps dd2 is doing this right now

6:45am wakeup
1:35/1:40ish-2:15 Nap
8pm bedtime (usually asleep at 8:15)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 13:43:28 pm »
Thanks Tink! I'm completely lost in what to do since we are in such a bad routine right now. OT/UT with long days and too many NWs to count....

Following you both is giving me hope that I'll figure it out at some point...I'm going to just play out these next few days (time is changing) and try and few things and see if I get lucky with something!

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 14:17:52 pm »
Yeah, it's just trial and error isn't it?! I found that if I did a 45 minute nap at 12.30, we had nws and / or ews. If I did the same length nap at 1 or 1.15 then he would sleep better / longer.  After a bit that stopped working too so I've kept the nap at the same sort of time but I'm now capping to 30 minutes max.

Hope that helps x

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 23:43:27 pm »
When you were doing the 45 min nap around 1:00/1:15pm, what was his BT and WU time roughly. I'm just going to copy one of yalls routines and stick to it for a few days and see what happens

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 06:39:04 am »
I think WU was around 6, though if it was earlier I'd have stuck to the same nap time anyway.  There were times he was either up very early,  or only had 40 minutes sleep between 4.30 and 6.30 and I just stuck to set nap and bed times.  BT is always at 7, no matter what else is going on. The only exception is NNDs when I do BT at 6.45.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 23:23:37 pm »
Thank you!! Going to try set times this whole week and see how it goes...

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 06:26:35 am »
Good luck!

We let jack nap for 30 minutes yesterday, or possibly a few minutes more and he was awake at 4.45 this morning. Urgh!

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 16:02:20 pm »
So strange how a 30 minute nap can affect their day so much....seems odd.
I guess now you know that NNDs are what he needs...

Thanks again for your help and guidance