Author Topic: How do you resettle your toddler to sleep?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
How do you resettle your toddler to sleep?
« on: May 25, 2014, 05:39:02 am »
When DS was a baby, if he woke in the night, too early in the morning or in the middle of a nap shh- pat in the cot often got him back to sleep &, failing that, APOP-ing by holding & rocking him worked.

Now he's 14mo none of these seem to work, he won't resettle in the cot, he just sits up & reaches out to be picked up, he will lie in my arms quietly but then tries to grab my hair or stick his fingers up my nose! I've read about wi/wo. & tried very briefly but he screams so loud when I leave the room I worry neighbours will be disturbed ( one has complained in the past)

He's an independent sleeper- more & more so as he gets older. He used to like a long WD to get him sleepy- now he points to his cot, goes in eyes wide open & puts himself to sleep for naps & at night, so I know he can sleep & maybe I'm just distracting him?

Any tips and suggestions appreciated- he's getting OT at moment from EW & short naps, wakes upset & needs to go back to sleep but I just can't get him there.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
Re: How do you resettle your toddler to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:07:21 am »
Hey

B's still struggling then? I've got no advice as you know K is a notorious EW and I've never really managed to get her back to sleep even when she's still tired but on the rare occasion I have I've found a little bottle of milk helped which I just handed to her and she drank in the cot rather than get her out. That has only worked once or twice though  :(x

Lauren

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 07:41:31 am »
What about just staying in the room and using your voice to soothe him? I used to just say "it's ok, it's just sleepy time.  Lie down and go to sleep now please. " I started off next to the cot and then moved away to the door and outside the door.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 17:03:42 pm »
Will give that a go, Ali thanks.
Lolsyb- yes still EW & napping badly :-( tried milk which does help him relax but rarely goes back to sleep. I'm getting concerned that he's starting to get used to early morning milk too, which might entrench the EW even more
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD