Author Topic: Is this OK... ? Transitioning to cows milk  (Read 1229 times)

Offline jasmynesmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Being a mummy is the best gift in the world.
Is this OK... ? Transitioning to cows milk
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:55:34 am »
HI,
DD is almost 1 year and I am very eager to get her off the formula (extremely expensive brand due to reflux as infant).  She currently takes 9oz of formula in her bottle 3 times per day and I was planning on switching her mid-day bottle to a cup of whole milk so that she can get used to drinking the whole mile before I try to transition her off the formula altogether..
She is very healthy in size and weight and is a great eater of her solids (eats all fruits, veggies and proteins
).  Lately she has left a couple of oz's on all her formula feeds so feel like she may be trying to tell me something..??
Does anyone have any health reasons as to why I should not do this?
Thanks!!!   ;D :-*
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

binxyboo

Re: Is this OK... ? Transitioning to cows milk
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:01:37 am »
Since she is almost close to a year I think it's fine to switch over gradually. Nothing magical happens the day they turn one! The only thing I am wondering about is how well she will tolerate it if she had to have a special formula this past year. What formula is it? She certainly does look like a healthy girl in her photo! How tall is she, if you don't mind me asking? :D

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:08:51 am »
I think it's fine as well. But is her current formula milk-based or hypoallergenic? If it's a specialized formula you may want to do the change over REALLY gradually...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline jasmynesmum

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:09:10 am »
I have put a little cows milk in her cereal before but she didn't like it..  Don't know whether it was the milk or the fact that the cereal did not have pureed fruit in it (only way she eats the cereal!) so I hope that she will not have a bad reaction to it ...  (another reason why I want to try it now)!!   She is on the Enfamil Nutramigen formula...  $25 a can which only lasts about 4 days!!

Last time she was measured was when she was 9 months... (have never done it myself - isn;t that awful!!!!) but she is very tall for her age....   she is as big as all her 'friends' at gymboree who are about 14 months...DH is tall, MIL is huge for a woman, and I am not 'short' so she is predesposed to be a tall gal...

I'll measure her tomorrow and post it!!  now I'm curious!!!   :P :P :D :D :D

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:36:19 am »
Hey there - Owen has reflux and is on Zegerid and Alimentum formula.  I have started a slow wean recently.  Owen was getting 6oz formula in the AM, 4oz at lunch in sippy and 6oz formula in the evening.  I started by replacing one ounce of formula with milk, in each. 
At the moment he gets 2oz milk, 4oz formula in the first bottle, 2oz milk/2oz formula in the sippy, and 2oz milk/2oz formula in the evening bottle.  I plan to increase by one ounce each week while closely monitoring his symptoms and poops.  His GI wants to wean his Zegerid at his check in Jan (hell be a year) so I want to have him switched to milk completely by then so I know where we stand when the wean of the PPI begins.

Thus far no reactions, no issues.  We are doing a dance here at my house b/c I thought we'd have to use Alimentum forever. ;D

I hope this helps!
Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline jasmynesmum

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 14:14:29 pm »
Thanks Zoey,...
She had about an oz this morning as a drink with her breakfast and then about 30 mins later she spat up....  Don't know whether it was reflux or the fact that she has been swallowing a lot of nose snot for past 3 days...  she has a terrible cold!  Like you I need to monitor this as she may not be able to take the Cows milk!!    If it's not one thing it's another!!!! :P