Author Topic: How to stop breastfeeding a reflux toddler?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Gobolinosmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How to stop breastfeeding a reflux toddler?
« on: November 11, 2015, 18:00:56 pm »
Hey,  ;D

We've been awol for a while but ottilie is now approaching 2 and I'm thinking about stopping breastfeeding soonish.  Her reflux is improving and we're off the ppi and controlling it with diet, however it comes back when she gets very upset. With Arthur, we simply did the bw method of sleep training and he was sleeping through afteracouple of nights but if I do that with her, she will likely have a reflux flare from the upset of the sleep training.

Does anyone have any tips for stopping breastfeeding without too much drama? She only has a feed at bedtime, none in the day. I've never fed her to sleep, she always goes in her cot awake and is good at self settling so it's not as big an issue as it could be but I'm still a bit worried that she will kick up a fuss.

Thanks all! 😊😊

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How to stop breastfeeding a reflux toddler?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 14:27:19 pm »
What about changing up the bedtime routine a bit? Does she ask for that bf or do you just automatically feed her?
Heidi

Offline Gobolinosmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 18:42:50 pm »
Yes, I was wondering about that. I think if we did something completely different at bedtime, she might forget about the bfeed. Maybe  :-\
Normally I sit on the chair in her room and giver her a feed in the dark, then pop her straight in bed with her dummy and teddies, always awake, say night night and leave the room. She usually self settles happily  unless teething etc.
trouble is, as she's still in her cot, We can't get in bed with her for a story like we do with her big brother. If I could "copy" his bedtime routine for her, she might take to it well as she loves to do everything like her big brother! She's a bit too little to have her big bed just yet though. He went into his at 2 as I knew I had an impending c section so wouldn't be able to lift him into his cot. I don't have that constraint this time so would rather keep her in the cot a little longer.
I think any routine involving the chair in her room would trigger her memory for milk. Trying to think of something completely different...

I have tried just cuddling her and popping her in bed without milk a couple of times but she just kicked up a big fuss.

She is incidentally quite happy for granny to put her to bed occasionally without milk. If I could persuade granny to do bedtimes for a few nights while she weans, that might help but granny is sadly not that up for helping too regularly. I wonder if she'd let daddy put her to bed...?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 19:12:08 pm »
What about stories in the living room? And then skip the chair and cuddles in her bed for a bit? If she is willing to have DH put her to bed that would be a great option too.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 23:08:10 pm »
I moved the BT feed to downstairs before the bath towards the end with one of mine. It worked well to shorten it and then one night he didn't really have any and then he forgot. He asked after a few nights of none and I said he didn't have it anymore so it dried up.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Gobolinosmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 07:04:47 am »
Thanks both,  :) yes the downstairs feed idea might work, she will be more distracted and might not want much. Unfortunately can't get into her little cot or cuddle her in it as the side doesn't go down. We have to have cuddles before I put her in. X