Author Topic: 30 min catnapper!  (Read 1182 times)

Offline FirstTimeMumma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 08, 2015, 00:55:04 am »
Hi,
My 7 week old is only having 30 min naps during the day! Has anyone tried the wake to sleep routine with success? How exactly do you do this? He is sleeping great through the night - it's just the daytime is always 30mins and he wakes and can't resettle. He goes to sleep ok on his own (I always put him down awake). Please tell me he will learn to resettle and start having longer day sleeps!!

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 20:25:41 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW :)

Congratulations on your wee baby boy! 7 weeks is very tiny still but it is around the time when babies start to wake up to the world a bit more, and get a bit hyped up by all the amazing things going on around them.  He will learn to resettle and sleep for longer, and you can definitely help him to do that.

To help him learn to sleep better during the day, you can start gently helping him get into a routine.  At his age, we'd expect an A (activity time) of around 1 hr 15 mins perhaps, that's from eyes open to eyes shut.  After he's been up for about an hour, you might want to start watching him to see if he needs to sleep yet, and if you think he does, you can encourage him to take a nap, using the approach outlined below.

I don't know if you've read any of the BW books, or had an opportunity to read around the site but these links should assist:
Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!
What does a good wind down consist of (Includes 4S ritual)

Come back with more questions! :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 30 min catnapper!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 02:08:49 am »
Weaver's given you great advice. I just wanted to add that my DD also only did 30 minute naps at that age. There's a huge developmental leap in how babies see the world at 6-8 weeks as they wake up to the world and some babies show it by sleeping less. Within a week, her naps started lengthening again.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014