Author Topic: 4.5 months still on 3 hour easy  (Read 1014 times)

Offline FionaS

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 15, 2007, 02:00:09 am »
My dd is 4.5 months old and is still on a 3 hourly easy.  She was a 40min napper but we've just recently got her doing 1.5 hours up and 1.5 hours down.  That means a 3 hour easy.  In the middle of the day she will sometimes do 2 hours up and 2 hours down so we do sometimes extend out to 4 hourly feeding. She generally can't handle more up time yet and doesn't nap longer so I don't really see how we can move to a 4 hour easy.  I don't think she really needs 3 hourly feeds (actually, in the evening we feed after only 2.5 hours sometimes) but I don't understand how I can transition her until she can be for longer.  Is it ok to leave things as they are until her awake time extends or should I be doing things some other way?

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: 4.5 months still on 3 hour easy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:35:59 am »
hi

IMO if her naps are better now and she's happy and sleeping good at night for you- leave it be as it is until she's ready for longer A times.

here are some signs indicating LO can be ready for the transition:
1. Not taking as much at a feed (baby not as hungry at 3 hours)
2. Erratic Night Wakings
3. They are extending their awake times
4. Starts taking 45 minute naps

A window opens up during the babies 4 month, that means they can stay awake longer ('A' time) and go longer between feeds. Keep a diary of when they eat and how much, how much activity they have and how long they sleep for.

If they don't eat very much on the 3 hour mark and take shorter naps this is the time to transition.

HTH
Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline FionaS

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 20:32:10 pm »
IMO she isn't taking as much at feeds now (she is bf so it's all a bit of a guessing game). She currently has 6 feeds but at one of them she barely takes 1 side.  Also, because she is grumpy / touchy she expects to be fed as soon as she wakes and roars until she is.  Should I perhaps try to do some awake time first?  Our well child nurses say we should feed as soon as they wake to ensure they feed efficiently but that sometimes means feeding after 2.5 hours (if we've had a short nap). Is it a good idea to get my lo used to not having to feed the minute she gets up or is it best to stick with what we are doing?  I wonder if grumpy babies ever wake up happy...I hope so!!!!

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 20:48:33 pm »
I would personally not feed the minute they wake up - especially if they only have a short nap.  This would introduce your lo to snacking and would mean that they are not taking a full feed at a time, but rather snack throughout the whole day.

If you don't think that your lo is ready for the 4 hour easy, you could always try the 3.5 hour EASY.

If your lo is only a 3-40 minute napper,it is a sure sign that she is ready to increase her A time.  If she is a touchy baby, I would suggest increasing her A time by say 5-10 minutes every few days until your  lo is ready to handle a longer A time.

She may just be over tired and this is why her naps are not consistent, and why she is not waking up happy.  Have you tried extending naps with Pat/Shhh, PU/PD or Wake 2 Sleep?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline FionaS

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:27:16 am »
She used to be a 40min napper but we have managed to get her to do 2 1.5 hour naps an 1 1 hour nap for the past 6 weeks. We do get a 40min nap once or twice a week though.

She does get easily overstimulated so we don't go out very often.

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 21:05:43 pm »
That is great news that you have managed to increase her nap times.

If you are looking to increase her A time and she get easily overstimulated, I would try and do it by about 5-10 minutes every few days so that she can get used to extending her A time.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007