Author Topic: Overtired during the day and ut at night?!!how can I reverse this??  (Read 619 times)

Offline mothergoose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
hi everyone! Need your help and ideas please!! My son has just turned 6 months and we are a tired household at the minute! Every night he is waking around half 3 or 4 (originally was 5am but now has got even earlier) and he takes between 1.5 to 2hrs to finally settle bk to sleep!nightmare! His easy varies slightly depending on what time he wakes up but follows the pattern 2hr 10min 'a' time then nap.so originally I thought I needed to increase his a during day to stop the cot parties (he originally wakes crying then coos and squeaks for an hr before starting moaning again) however this is what has now happened with daytime naps: his 'a' time gradually decreases throughout the day so that we start with 2hr 15 then he cant handle more than 2hrs or extremely ot.
Do you think this is because he is awake so long ar night?! If so how do I reverse it?! Have tried sticking with a throughout day,but it just makes him extremely hard to settle for bt and he wakes every hr and a half all night! I have cut his catnap down to half an hr, sometimes twenty min but without any improvement.
Here is sample EASY
7am wake and eat
9:15-11:25 sleep
11:25-1:25 E and A
1.25 - 3 sleep (i have to wake from this nap)
3-4:45 E and A
4:45-5:05 sleep (has to be woken)
5:05-7:15 E and A
7:15-BT
12 MN dreamfeed
3:30 - awake and ready to party!
5am- back to sleep

So I am at a loss what to do! We used to feed or rock him at early morning wake up but Ive stopped this as dont want to create bad habits..Now we leave him until he starts to cry then go in to try and settle him.

Any ideas please?xx

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 15:06:35 pm by mothergoose »

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Overtired during the day and ut at night?!!how can I reverse this??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:08 am »
According to the EASY you posted he is sleeping pretty well during the day, so I am afraid I don't know what you mean by "OT during the day"...
But it does sound like he is ready for more A time, he is on a too low A time for his age and it's probably as well time to get rid of the third nap - all these cause the long UT NW.
To prevent him from getting OT you'd increase the A gradually, by 10-15min every 3-4 days (you'd need to be quite consistent during those days) and stop increasing when naps are good and you are somewhere around 2.5-2:45h A time (could be 3h as well if he can handle it).
You can read about it more here: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
HTH :).
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/