Author Topic: On the go with older children... Messing with baby's sleep?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Lake lover

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
On the go with older children... Messing with baby's sleep?
« on: March 11, 2013, 18:18:05 pm »
Okay so I already know the answer... YES I'm sure it has to be! But I can't change it. I knew this from the beginning. Anyway, we really try to drive when it is nap time just to keep on the EASY routine. That does work but then more and more at nap times and now night sleep he will not stay asleep thru the REM cycle.  I am going to start trying the "wake him up early" but how long will that take with me still schlepping him off everywhere?
Thank you!

Baby is 5 months ;)

Offline ~Karen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 98
Re: On the go with older children... Messing with baby's sleep?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 18:25:03 pm »
We used to try and do at least one decent nap at home a day and then of the others were shorter and out and about I didn't worry too much.  I think it depends on how flexible your kid is as well.  I've got a friend who hated staying at home so her second lo pretty much took all her naps in carseat/buggy.  If I tried to do that with ds1 I got punished big time with a very OT baby who then would cry and not sleep.  Once you get on two naps a day it might become a bit easier as you can then plan trips out around nap time if you want them to have two decent naps at home.  Good luck!  I'm so glad we're past that stage!

Offline Lake lover

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 18:47:38 pm »
Thank you so much! Sometimes all u need to hear is that "it will be okay!" ;)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 19:48:16 pm »
Like Karen I tried to have at least one decent nap in the crib. My DS2 was a terrible sleeper out and about so we did often end up doing days at home when he could catch up. Many days I spent at playgroups I would be stuck swaying for an hour with him in the wrap just to get a 25 min CN out of him to help him through  until he could do a better nap at home. You do need to balance the needs of both kids though just be aware there may be fallout to deal with sometimes.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Lake lover

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 20:52:24 pm »
So the playgroups and such didn't "mess up" their night time sleep?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 22:02:12 pm »
Yes, that is what I meant by dealing with the fallout really. It depended whether I was able to give naps that meant he could catch up at other times in the day or to have days "off" the activities to allow naps at hime between the days we were out and about. We often had an OT baby by BT and we went through a phase of resettling 35 mins after BT. I also knew if I had to allow a late nap to catch up it would likely mean an early start the next day but I came to expect it and just dealt with it (by having an early night for example) when it happened. Sometimes I was pleasantly surprised
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Lake lover

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 00:03:50 am »
Thank you ali, I really appreciate it! :)