Author Topic: Not taking enough in a feed  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Sarahjjones

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 16, 2015, 12:21:19 pm »
Hi, my daughter is 5 weeks old and often she only takes 2 or 3oz instead of 4 at a feed and then wakes and cries for a feed 2 hours later, any tips on encouraging her to take more in 1 feed? We give her a few breaks, but often she will fall asleep or just fuss and push the bottle away when we try to get her to finish the feed. Help?!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Not taking enough in a feed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 20:37:28 pm »
What flow tat do you have her on? I would try a faster teat, don't worry too much about the age range on the packaging many babies need a faster flow long before the makers think they do - equally some stay on slow flow for a much longer time.

Try the next size teat and see how she does. It may take a couple of feeds to adapt to the new flow though!

Laura

Offline MamaLinds

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 00:06:52 am »

Did you have any luck?
I am having the same issue with my 2mo ds. He's acting full and getting tired while he's eating and pushing the nipple out of his mouth but then he's acting like he's starved when it comes time to sleep! So frustrating!
He's barely napping at all during the day now and to top it off, he was sleeping 7.5-8 hours at night last weekend, but now he's back down to about 3 or 4 hours. My mom was visiting when he was sleeping well and she carried him A LOT during the day and let him sleep on her. She also intruded and went straight in to get him any time he cried during sleep. Did she ruin him? How do I fix all this? I know it's all tied together, so I'm curious if Lolly's advice helped in your case? Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 20:30:11 pm »
MamaLinds, what flow teat are you using? Does you LO have any digestive discomfort, is reflux a possibility?

Laura