Author Topic: Can a child survive on 5 Cheerios a day?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Re: Can a child survive on 5 Cheerios a day?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 20:05:42 pm »
Yes, Bethany, you are very right. I have always kept an "easy log", still have a little notebook that I am addicted to and record everything in it every day  ::)  Milk feeds, solid food (incl offered vs eaten), nap times, and yes, every single poop.   :-X

So, looking back I am starting to wonder if his decline in appetite is from the introduction of soy.  I'm not 100% convinced either way, and so yesterday removed soy from his diet as well. The only thing I had given him with soy was bread, so easy enough to cut it out.  But, could still be a teeth issue, could be the one-year-old-taking-control issue.  His BMs have "settled" a bit today and so I will let him go for a couple of weeks and then try soy again and see.

:o  :o OMG am just making another connection - for the past 8 or 9 days he has been having NWs, only one per night, and it's been waking up sobbing and/or crying hysterically.  Have assumed teeth.  Given meds and back to sleep.  No teeth have come through yet, and yesterday after a few days off of soy and finally getting his poops back to "ok" last night he slept through!! Can't be coincidence can it???

Offline AshleyB

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • My Photos
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 20:35:03 pm »
Actually, it can be a coincidence. Baby behavior is not an exact science as much as we wish it was. Just keep observing and recording. I don't think one night of sleep can be a foundation for any kind of conclusion about a food intolerance. Just keep doing what you're doing.
Mom to Chandler McCrea born April 2, 2008
Spirited/Textbook

Offline Mashi

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 20:41:46 pm »
I don't think one night of sleep can be a foundation for any kind of conclusion about a food intolerance.

DS is soy intolerant,confirmed. This has been a first introduction of it to see if he was able to tolerate it now. The result as been disgusting runny poop coming out of his nappy, refusal to eat, and screaming NWs.... So it's not a one off random thought. 

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 22:47:32 pm »
Screaming in-pain NW have always been part of my DS's reaction to milk.  Keep tracking--sounds like you're onto it.

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 13:20:46 pm »
I'd be inclined to be suspicious of the soy too  - didn't he projectile vomit last time you tried it? The big drop in weight would worry me too.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 13:28:39 pm »
Yes Lan he did!  The paed said he really felt that the vomit was because I gave him an ENTIRE pot (adult pot.... :-\ ) of soy yogurt all at once and it just sat funny in his tummy. If you remember I was sort of wondering that myself at the time - you know sometimes a yogurt can just sit a bit funny in your tummy....  but paed keeps insisting that DS should be okay on soy by now and so get him on it. 

It's really strange to me because he always said before that at one year old we would try milk first and then soy, but this time he said no, get him on soy now, he will be fine, and hold off on all milk until TWO!   I was a bit confused but didn't really argue.  DS was being discharged that day anyway and I will look for a paed in Germany, Steffi has told me they take food allergies seriously in Germany so hopefully I will find one who speaks good English and is supportive!

Today he was doing the same - taking food but gagging and instantly spitting it out and reaching in with his hand to pull it out.  It was the first time I have EVER fed him jarred / premade baby food, I felt awful doing it to him because even though it is stage 3, it's still pretty much 'baby food' and he is on full on 'table food' with his fingers. But, with the wedding this weekend I need to take some jars because can't store his food out of the fridge for 36 hours, and will have to do so for the trip to Germany as well.  But, then during his meal, a friend showed up and she fed him while I cleaned up (no one else has ever fed him but me or DH) and he lapped it all up!!! Ate every single, bit, no gagging, no pulling it out......nothing!

So is food refusal just something that LOs do because they know it is an emotional thing? He knows it upsets me? A way of controlling? I know from zillions of posts that everyone seems to go through this at around this age, and so is that all it is?

If so, all I have to say is AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  ;)

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 13:46:16 pm »
He might have taken the food from your friend because he was distracted, it was something different, so he wasn't so focused on being in control IYKWIM? Unfortunately this stage can last until 3 and it is so frustrating! The main thing is not to waste lots of time cooking special meals because you get SOOO boiling mad when they don't eat them! I was like that the first time round but now DS2 eats what we eat, if he doesn't eat it, tough.

What your paed said about the milk/soy is weird to me, there isn't really any way of knowing which intolerance they will grow out of first i don't think. My doc said to trial a small amount of milk at 12 months and if it didn't go well, try again in 3 months. He didn't even mention the soy - I guess because soy doesn't really have that many essential nutrients except those added in - which you could take as a supplement anyway.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 14:09:29 pm »
Lan, that is what I thought about the milk / soy as well. It seemed to go directly against everything he has said to me before. I left thinking I have to have misunderstood. ??? I suppose it doesn't matter, I have good knowledge and support here and as I said, will look in Germany.  Top children's clinic right next to DH's work, so easy access.

Um, the other part....about this lasting to age 3.  I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.  THREE?!  Nooooooooo!!   I think that is where some of my frustration comes is because I spend ALL nap times slaving in the kitchen for DS's meals, then my own lunch is thrown together and DH and I get whatever one of us can whip up in 3 minutes flat for our own dinner. DS's gourmet meals are thrown on the walls. 

Think that's gonna have to change!!

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 16:18:10 pm »
Popping back in to offer {{hugs}}.  So glad other ladies have come on to address potential allergy or intolerance issues, as I have no experience there.  Thinking of you, hun.  :-*
Candice

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 17:07:28 pm »
Don't know if this is any use, but I have a really good recipe for cheese scones (if you can't use ordinary cheese, then can you try goats/sheeps cheese) - they might be useful for your wedding as they don't need to be kept in the fridge.  I put spinach and tomato puree (or pureed mixed vegetables) to make them a bit more nutritious, and you can make them into a little sandwich with ham/cheese - whatever you like really.  Let me know if you would like the recipe and I can pm you.
Cx

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 12:17:12 pm »
Can you make popsicles with the milk you are using? Maybe ask for some sort of recipe, when they are teething, they often like that stuff at least.

Hugs  :-*

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 10:03:55 am »
But, then during his meal, a friend showed up and she fed him while I cleaned up (no one else has ever fed him but me or DH) and he lapped it all up!!! Ate every single, bit, no gagging, no pulling it out......nothing!

Leo lost quite a bit of weight and was becoming skin and bones, we end up getting some urine and stool samples and found out he had giardia.  I think he would have had it for at least 4-6 weeks, during that time he was so temperamental - he would have a tantrum if I moved his sippy cup and that would be the end of the meal, slowly his food range became smaller and smaller. I never knew if he would eat this or that, even his favourites.  He kept getting sick too, which made me wonder if there was something underlying. 

During that stage, Leo would be put off his food so easily I could feel my heart racing each time I fed him. I tried dang hard to not be outwardly upset or watch him too much. I felt he needed to eat because he was losing weight. But other people could (on and off) actually feed him (even spoon feed him!!) when I couldn't, I'm sure he could pick up my mood and anxiety despite my best efforts.

How is the removal of soy going?  You are on the right track I'd say that something to do with food or the gut.
Have you started him on things that contains gluten or is anyone giving it to him? I remember you saying (forgive me if I'm wrong, that celiac was in your family and you were delaying the intro of gluten).

Have you had any stool, or urine or blood tests done, maybe you are fighting something else.  Keep demanding things until you get answers. Some doctors I came across were complete IDIOTS who merely prodded Leo and said well he's still got a belly he's not wasting away. I knew different. I have learnt more to follow my own feelings that something unknown is wrong and keep going. I had one person telling me to bf more, one to bf less, and one to give softdrinks to fatten him up  ::)

Trying different approaches worked a little for Leo, including having a little picnic on the floor, and also putting a range of snack foods on the coffee table for him to discover without my intervention. That worked wonderfully, esp as he got better and he was quite excited to come and go as he pleased. Basically DS needed a break from the high chair (and so did I!).

I completely know that feeling that you HAVE to feed your child and you can see they are losing weight. Keep going mashi, you are on the right track questioning it all. 
 :-* :-* :-*
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Mashi

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 12:05:26 pm »
Thanks Char. Don't have time for a full reply now, but wanted to say that I did think of your experience with Leo a few times throughout this little ordeal.  Will come back and write an update this evening.