Author Topic: Activity before wind-down  (Read 1191 times)

Offline ishkin

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 08, 2007, 06:59:15 am »
Hi all,
I'm looking for ideas what to do with a six-month-old just before his wind-down, for about 15 mins..

He's a pretty spirited baby, who can't stay in one place for a min, so I have a hard time to keep him focused on something.

Our wind-down is pretty short due to the same reason: currently we go into his room,change the diaper, close the shutters and put quiet music on, I sing a little and try to slow-dance with him, but he usually starts struggling with me, so I put him down and wish him a good sleep and go out...
And he usually continues to play and make happy sounds in his cot for about 15 mins-20 mins until finally he starts doing his mantra cry and trying to go to sleep...
All'n'all our wind-down takes about 5 mins, and I wouldn't mind making it a bit longer to settle him down more relaxed.

So I would appreciate any ideas for pre-winddown and wind-down time for spirited baby!

Inna

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Activity before wind-down
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 00:45:00 am »
Sometimes if my LO is very wound up, I find it helpful to just do a walk around the house while holding her, looking out the windows usually (seems to be something a bit mesmerizing about that).  She really hates holding still too, so being on the move will keep her relatively content while being held.  Also, letting him crawl around the floor of his room (or however he moves around) with his room darkened with some soft toys (ones that don't light up or make noise or anything) might work as well.

Offline ishkin

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 10:21:35 am »
Thanks a lot, I'll try that!
Inna

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: Activity before wind-down
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 17:33:07 pm »
We go to the garden and look at bushes and listen to outdoor sounds. This still works with my spirited DD and she is 10 months now  :)
Katt