Author Topic: Sleep problems- new to site- looking for advice  (Read 883 times)

Offline Musicmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleep problems- new to site- looking for advice
« on: January 21, 2006, 20:08:41 pm »
I am looking for some much needed advice. My daughter just turned 4 months  and we are having a lot of sleep issues.

For the last two weeks I have tried the EASY program and getting my daughter on a better sleep routine. She has very short naps during the day(2 to 3 for about 1 hour each). Sometimes she will fall asleep in her crib without any problems but other times the only way to get her to sleep is to rock her. Also often she will wake up screaming and when I hold her she will fall back asleep.If I put her down again she wakes up and then I have to pick her up again.(This has gone on for hours)

At night we have tried to create a routine with her bath, bottle and bed at seven. She wakes up at about nine and our evening sometimes goes until 1 am. She will scream for a good two hours and she will not take a bottle and you know she is tired because she is rubbing her eyes and grabbing at her face. The only way to get her to sleep is to walk around with her or rock her, and often this does not work.  Once she falls asleep which is in bed with my husband and I(she sleeps in the middle of the nursing pillow between us) she will usually wake up at 3 am for a feed, and then go back to sleep until 6am, then feed and usually sleep until 9am.

My husband and I are just very concerned and not sure if we will ever have our evenings back. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Sleep problems- new to site- looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 00:56:48 am »
The first thing I would ask for is what is the routine you currently try to follow.
Its sounds like you might have some accidental parenting going on there. Once we have your routine we'll do what we can to help you.
To start with have to got a copy of Tracy's newest book?? its louded with information that I think you will find greatly helpfull.
You sound like your on the right path. I think you may need to start trying some PU/PD or some pat shush. Please send me your routine and we'll gop from there.
Kimberly

Offline Musicmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Sleep problems- new to site- looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:32:48 am »
Thanks for the reply! I just purchased Tracy's new book today. I just wish I could read it faster.

Her schedule this week seems to be the following

3am Feed
6am Feed
6-9 Sleep
9am Feed
10-10:30- Activity
10:30 (1 hour Nap)
11:30 Activity
12:00 Feed
12:30 Activity
2:00 Sleep
3:00 Eat
5:00 Sleep
6:00 Eat
6:30 Bath
7:00 Sleep until about 9
9:00 Eat

Then she usually ends up falling asleep at around 12:30am by this time we are all very tired. I am also a bit concerned that she may have reflux and not sure how this could be affecting the sleep patterns. My son had reflux and we found this out because he spit up a lot and was losing weight. I never really thought that could be the problem with my daughter but when I began to read some of the posts on this website, she has many of the same problems discussed by parents with children with reflux.  So I will have to look into that possibility as well.  I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the reply. This is a great support.