Author Topic: Advice on 3.5 hour routine  (Read 1070 times)

Offline chanashleigh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: April 01, 2007, 05:50:46 am »
Hi there! :)

My DD has been on the 3 hr routine since she was about 7-8 weeks old, she is 3.75 months old and I am starting to transition to a 4 hour routine, she was starting to wake a lot during the night so I thought it might be time. I certainly could be wrong though because she still wakes up now and then!

Anyway I just thought I would share my routine times and see if anyone has any ideas or other suggestions. This is what I am going to try for now give or take 10 minutes....

E 7:00am
S 8:45am

(I try to get her to sleep about 1.5 / 1.75 hours..she always wakes up around that 45 minute mark and goes back to sleep)

E 10:30am
S 12:15pm

(Another 1.5 / 1.75 hr)

E 2:00pm
S 3:30-3:45pm

Wake @ 4:45
E 5:00pm
S 6:15 catnap (30-40 minutes)

Wake by 7:00, bath
E: 7:30 bed by 8pm

I think DD needs the natcap because there is no way she will make it by 7pm and if she is used to going to bed around 8ish then maybe going to bed at 6:30-7pm is too early? Not sure on this.....also is DD getting too much sleep? I read that too much sleep contributes to night wakings also. There is no real pattern to her night wakings at the moment, I will have to get back to you all on that!

Look forward to hearing any of your thoughts!  ;D

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: Advice on 3.5 hour routine
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 14:02:13 pm »
hi

your routine looks good but i'd move her bedtime to 7pm and eliminate catnap. then you'd have 2 hrs between 3rd nap and bedtime and she should make it, if not straight away, than surely after a few days.

is she hungry when she wakes? what do you do to get her back to sleep? have you tried dream feed?

Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline chanashleigh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 23:11:17 pm »
Hi Monika, thanks so much for you reply. I agree about eliminating cat nap because the past 4/5 days, well since I pretty much changed from 3 hour routine she has not sleep the catnap anyway! I lay her in her cot with dummy and she just lays there until I get her haha. I don't really hear anything from her, she must be enjoying lying in the dark  ;D

As I am feeding her at 5:00, would it be a good idea to feed her just before 7 or at 7:00 then put to bed? Yes I do give DD a dream feed, usually around 10:30pm. That usually goes well, sometimes she drinks a bit others not depending on how tired she is. I thought about giving her EBM that feed so I know she is getting a good 3-4 ounces???

The last 3 nights she woke at 1:50am then 12:45am and then 2:15am. SHe does not even cry, its like she is up and ready to play. I have left her for a while and then she starts to winge a bit and it gets stronger and stronger. I have not left her to get to a real cry though. Would leaving her until she actually starts to cry eventually help her to resettle? She is used to relaxing and soothing with a dummy so I would have thought that would be quite hard for her to do until she can reach the dummy herself...Anyway (getting a bit off track, sorry!) Most if not all times her nappy is very much saturated and I can almost feel it through her pj's....so I have got her up to change her, reswaddled, given dummy and then put back to bed. First night she drifted off and on and she quite unsettled so I figured she was hungry so fed her and she went straight back to sleep. Second night (took over an hour) to get her to eventually fall asleep and she slept until 5:15am...last night she took a long time to go to sleep again and then she woke up again around 3am and I ended up feeding her. I was actually disappointed  :-[ that I did this because I know she can go longer, I was just dead tired and I knew she would go straight back to sleep and not wake up until 6:30/7 and thats exactly what she did. I will try not to do that again though!

I don't really think she is hungry when she wakes, she never really gets to a cry. I can resettle quite easily both with dummy and shh/pat but the past two nights she is taking some time to fall into that deep sleep, wakes every 10-15 minutes or so. Not sure what to do??? Thought about waking 2 sleep? I am losing about 1.5 hours every night and that seems to be before I bloody feed her!

Thanks again Monika, look forward to any  more thoughts/advice you have! :)

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:16:26 am »
hi there.

first- yes, I think you can try moving 5pm feed to around 7pm, which would be bath-feed-bed, right? that's exactly what I'm doing and it works beautifuly.

as for night wakings, could it be growth spurt? there's no pattern in her wakings so it's not habitual but... on the other hand you say she's not hungry, so I'm not sure what's causing those wakings. did she achive any milestones recently? or maybe is there a change in her surroundings?
actualy, night wakings can also be a sign of being ready for the routine change so as you're aiming for 4 hrs easy anyway, I suppose she will adjust and those NW will vanish when she's settled in her new routine.

how has she been doing?

Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline catonss

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 14:05:08 pm »
Hey -
i just wanted to say this sounds SO MUCH like what my dd is doing - naps and everything.  She'll be 16 weeks tomorrow.  We also have dropped that last catnap (i too was confused about this, but we just couldn't get it in by the end of the day, and others on this site encouraged me to drop it).  Sometimes we have trouble going more than 1.5 hrs awake time - like this morning b/c she was awake on and off again last night, she's tired.  So i'm trying to just watch her cues and put her down when she's tired.  Otherwise it contributes to the overtiredness.  I bet you're dealing w/ some of that too, if she's awake on and off in the night. 

I will say too i've quit making sure we're feeding at the exact times (3.5 hours or whatever).  If she has a nap that is 30 mins (that's when she wakes up), and then fusses for 30 mins and then goes back to sleep for an hour, then I try to wait until she wakes up - i just feel like it's better to let them wake up naturally.  But i also try to not let her have over 2 hours at any nap.  So sometimes we get up to 4 hours b/c her naps are broken like that.  By the end of the day, i try to lay her down about 12 hours after i feed her in the morning (not necessarily after she wakes, cause sometimes she's pretty much awake from 5:30 on).  DOn't know if that would help you know when to put her down.  Lately, we've been doing 6:30 or 6.  And the last feeding has been around 6 - with a dreamfeed at 10 or 10:30.  Total day sleep has been about 4-5 hours.  Some other people on the boards thought over 5 might be too much, contibuting to the night wakings...  Not sure, i think sleep begets sleep, and sometimes i feel like her napping well is how she's going to break out of this overtired mess she's in.  So i let her nap as long as it's not forever, you know?

Yes, and our nights have been sporadic as well.  Sometimes she's up on and off at random times - sometimes we notice she'll wake at exactly 3:32.  This has happened several times.  Have you noticed any kind of habit w/ the times she wakes?  So we have been setting our alarm for 2:30 to do wake to sleep.  A few times it has worked, but not always, cause sometimes she wakes before that. 

We tried for a week or more to go to her shortly after we heard her and try to shush pat.  But we found it wasn't helping - maybe making it worse cause she was getting used to us putting her to sleep again.  And it was wearing me out.  I think it can help when her cry escalates, but most of her cries, when she wakes early from a nap or in the night are sort of a wimpy mantra type fuss.  She's my second, and I know this cry is more of a "oh no, i'm awake!"  I feel like she's struggling with resettling and self soothing....and in my opinion, i feel like she's not going to learn if i rescue her all the time.  Since i've started this, i feel like her fussing is less.  And of course if her cry is desperate or if she's hungry. 

I too have struggled with whether or not to feed her at night.  She slept through from the dreamfeed until 7 or so for about 3 weeks, so i feel like she can do it.  And i don't want her to get used to having her calories in the middle of the night.  When i do feed her at say 5 am, i can tell her first 2 feeds of the day are not as good.  Sure she usually goes back to sleep after that, and at least she's sleeping, but i feel like i'm only band-aiding the problem.   

How does your baby sleep?  We've experimented w/ how we're laying her down...she does ok w/ side sleeping. 
Is yours swaddles?  Our still is, she freaks out if i leave an arm or two out.  I wish she'd find her fingers or thumb.  My first did and i think that's partly why she didn't do this.  We've also had our baby in a moses basket/bassinet thing (the 2 year old is still in the crib).  And i think it's time to move her out.  Who knows, maybe she's uncomfortable?  We're going to do a pack n play for a while....  Is your baby sleeping w/ you or in their own room?  Some have said getting them into their own room helps....

Babies are all different, i'm learning...and i'm also trying to ease up.  I've been so worried that she's not getting enough total sleep for her brain to develop, etc.  But this will pass.  I, like you, am hoping it will get better once she's on more of a 4 hour routine. 

Well, don't know if i've said anything to help you....but i'd love to keep chatting since our scenarios are so similar...  If nothing else, i feel like maybe there isn't anything wrong with what's happening with our girl, maybe it's normal if someone else is going through it too!

Sarah
Sarah

Offline chanashleigh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 00:04:26 am »
Thanks so much for listening, its great to just be able to talk about it and hear anyones thoughts!

Hey Sarah its sounds like our DD's were possibly born on the same day! Where are you from? We live in Australia and DD was born on the 15th of December....thanks so much for your reply, they do sound alike and its great to talk to someone with similar stuff going on!

Well after another day of her not doing a catnap and being so tired at night and the fact that she went along time without food I decided to go just ahead and start the 4hr routine yesterday to see what happened...it went pretty well actually. The naps are not the greatest because of the whole 45 minute thing but I am trying to work on that (I really hate this!  >:(). I know she can go the distance between feeds and she can almost stay up for 2 hours each A time and she did have a 30-35 minute catnap last night so fingers crossed! Sarah, are you transitioning your DD onto a 4 hour routine at the moment? I first started extending her morning time by to 1:45 and then worked on the next A time...I did this for quite a few days and then I eventually got to 3.5 routine but only did that for a few days because she stopped doing her catnap. What are her awake times like after her first nap?

I decided that one of the night wakings was starting to become a habit as the next two nights after my post she woke at exactly 2:15am! Last night I decided to do W2S and it actually worked! I did not have to stir her, the floor boards did the job for me....I raced to put her dummy in and then after about 40 minutes she was back in a deep sleep. Its really interesting watching the way there little bodies work :) I just stayed in her room to see what she would do, she even knocked the dummy out herself and went to sleep. Super proud of DD haha. I heard her stir at around 4:30am and then she again went back to sleep and then woke at 6:30am at which point I got up and fed her...this is the first time she has ever done this...don't worry though I am definitely not getting my hopes up. I sort of made a deal with myself and said that if she wakes before 4:30am then I will consider feeding her depending on her fussing etc and I agree Sarah I will have to watch those extra calories in the morning, but after 4:30 I won't feed her of course unless she really is hungry but up until now its really never been the case, so I will just be trying to get her back to sleep. I am trying to at least get her to go to 6:30-7:00 anyway. The DF with the bottle seems to be going well, could be helping a bit I have no idea. I express about 120ml into a bottle and then finish her off on my breast so she can drink as much more as she wants plus getting that extra sucking which usually helps her to stay asleep, I will keep doing this for the time being anyway. Its good to know she is getting a descent feed. Do you bottle or BF?

Sarah I know what you mean about them getting used to you patting them back to sleep, its hard work and my back just aches as sometimes I have stood there doing it for 15-20 minutes!...I am using this to try and put her back to sleep during her daytime naps as well. Not sure what to do about this as surely they have to become dependant on it! I have never really left her to cry so I think I have made that situation worse for myself. I think I may have to start leaving her for a bit...it makes me cringe though because I know its going to get bad before it could get better KWIM. How long do you leave her? No sure how I would approach this but like you said patting may be making things worse and its so tiring and time consuming! DD would lose alot of sleep in the beginning and I need to be prepared for that too.

DD sleeps on her side during the day, she seems to like that the most. It helps with me trying to do W2S and the whole patting this too. At night she sleeps on her back. DD has been in her own room and in own cot since about 5 weeks old so all is ok in regards to that. I do swaddle her and I keep her hands swaddled too, I know I am a big meanie but leaving her hands free just creates more distraction and she has not found her thumb or anything, sucking her fists just does not soothe her at the moment. The dummy does the job well as well as ssh/pat.

I get help just by you and others listening and I certainly appreciate any ideas and advice!  ;D

Chantelle