Author Topic: Tips/ support on How to cope with evening fussiness/constant nursing?  (Read 6909 times)

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Ok it seems I have another v sucky baby. I know it's early days and there are constant growth spurts etc but last night Georgia would just not settle and was constantly searching for the breast for almost 5 hrs until she eventually conked out. Everything you read says it's normal and that you have to just go with the flow and accept it
http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

And I keep telling myself it will pass but C was like this until about 4mos and being stuck in a dark room with a constantly rooting baby, falling asleep and then startling and rooting f or the breast every 10 seconds for hours really took its toll on me and for sure was a huge factor in my PND. DH has tried to settle her but she just gets frantic. I know she's not starving because she's comfort sucking. We kept trying a dummy and one time she did suck it for about 5mins and fell asleep but then woke up and after that wouldn't tolerate it being in her mouth again! C was exactly the same ::) I know this might not be the same as C but the thought of months of this just led me to being anxious last night as I cannot go down the PND route again. I can't.

So any ladies who are going Through or have btdt how do you survive? I know I have to change the way I feel about this but any tips/hugs would be appreciated. Do i just have her downstairs and watcj tv and just go with it or persevere in the dark bedroom Etc? I just hope this phase passes quicker than it did with C. It's seriously making me want to move to formula feeding because I just think how am I going to cope with the exhaustion of these nursing sessions, NFs and then a toddler to look after?

*Nicola*

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
No expert hon but I would (and did) definitely be downstairs with dh in front of the tv, especially at this young age. She is soooo little, I wouldn't worry at this stage. (((Hugs))))

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
I agree. No real experience as DS2 isn't too bad in the evenings, but he's not in his bed until I am. So unless I try to get an early night, he's downstairs with us until his last feed at around 10pm.

Hugs lovely xxx
Catherine x

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Get out of the dark room. Set yourself up in front of the telly, get DH to bring you some drinks and snacks, magazines, chocolate, make the most of the enforced 'feet up' time.

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
totally agree with people.  Get out of the dark room.  Our room has a tv in it so we would put dd1 to bed and then go upstairs and watch tv up there or just hang downstairs till we were all ready for bed. 

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Get out of the dark room. Set yourself up in front of the telly, get DH to bring you some drinks and snacks, magazines, chocolate, make the most of the enforced 'feet up' time.
This! ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline anna*

• My two
(pS, I wouldn't expect most newborns to be going 'to bed' until 10-11... Bedtime usually/often doesn't start coming earlier until 8-12 weeks. Do what you need to do FOR YOU to get through this intact)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
I always started off by trying to get DD to bed at a bedtime, but if she wasn't up for settling felt no guilt in bringing her back down either to feed or be with us asleep in the sling.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
(pS, I wouldn't expect most newborns to be going 'to bed' until 10-11... Bedtime usually/often doesn't start coming earlier until 8-12 weeks. Do what you need to do FOR YOU to get through this intact)
Yup this.

No dark rooms at this early stage Hun. Just do what she needs and stay downstairs with DH and enjoy her xx

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Agree with pp, do whatever works for you. And congratulations!

One thing that enabled us to put ds down in his early days was the lights setting on the playmat (fisher price rainforest one). He was mesmerised!

If you have anything like that, is it worth a try?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
Thank you ladies :-*
I'm definitely having a few emotional days. Mil and FIL reduced me to tears today with two totally innocent comments. Well I am taking the advice. Downstairs with trashy Waterloo rd on telly, DH is bringing me strawberries and cream and chocolate fridge cake. I feel more chilled and G is not so frantic tonight. She's plugged on!  We swaddled her this afternoon and she napped better but the MWs have been v insistent that we don't.

Thank you for all your support. I just can't face the dark or PND but think if I just try and go with the flow more that will help. Thanks :-*

*Nicola*

Offline anna*

• My two
Swaddle! (Just don't tell the MWs) ;)

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
Swaddling here too.....gasp!!! ;) Trust your instincts lovely x
Catherine x

Offline anna*

• My two
And hun - courage. Baby blues is normal. Enjoy tha chocolate cake!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Just out of interest, why are they discouraging you from swaddling?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015