Author Topic: How do i start the E.A.S.Y routine at what time of the day?  (Read 931 times)

Offline kellie_shakur

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How do i start the E.A.S.Y routine at what time of the day?
« on: October 12, 2006, 07:18:01 am »
Hi, my daughter is 10 weeks old on sunday and I've just bought the baby whisperer book and saw the EASY routine but I'm a bit confused about what time of the day to start to introduce it and what length of routine should i do the 3 hour or what?

i would be so grate full if some one could give me some advice on this, also I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but she has had colic since she was a week old which seems to be going abit now.

If u can spare some advice and time please send it my way i want to start the routine asap as right now everything is chaotic and i don't have no routine or structure and am finding it difficult to do anything including showering or washing until my boyfriend gets in from work. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
kellie_shakur
   -- x --

Offline jomige

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: How do i start the E.A.S.Y routine at what time of the day?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:37:31 pm »
Hi Kellie_shakur,

I was in the same place you are...I wasn't able to shower until my husband got home from work.  But all that changed with EASY.  Now I can workout, eat breakfast, and shower all during her first nap...sometimes I can even get some housework done!  It made such a big difference in my life! 

As for starting the routine, I would recommend looking at her normal waking time.  The book recommends 7 am but my baby likes to wake at 6:30am (which ironically was the time I used to always wake up for work before having her!).  I think that starting at a time they are used to getting up will make it a bit easier--just stay consistent with that time (ie not letting her sleep late) and make sure that it works for you (for example, if you are going back to work and need to be out of the house at 8, a wake time of 7:30 or 8 may not work out well).

I would definitely start with the 3 hour EASY.  She may need to move to a 3.5 hour EASY (there are sample schedules under the FAQ section of the EASY forum) within a few weeks but you can handle that later or change based on her lead/cues.  There is also a board for Colic that you may want to look at (I have no experience with that).   

Other tips:
Definitely keep a log.  That was very helpful for me and I still keep one now.  It helps me identify when she needs changes to her schedule. 
Explore the boards here.  There is good information from all the moms.  The FAQ boards have great info on sample schedules, common problems, appropriate awake times for certain ages.  Also reading others posts can be helpful and make you feel like you are not alone.
Also after a week or so, reread the book.  I found a lot of info that I had missed while trying to get the big picture!

Also, please give the techniques at least 1 week to work.  The first week was horrible for us.  My daughter (7 weeks at the time) fought so hard against EASY.  But after that first week things started going so much better.  She was a happier, well rested baby and I was a happy mommy!  Even my family noticed a difference in her!  So stick with it.  It is called EASY but it is hard work!

Good luck
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline jacksmomns

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 17:04:58 pm »
I agree-it is hard work but worth it!  It has taken us a few weeks-my lo is now 10 wks also, and stated around 7 weeks.  It was difficult to apply the sleep training too, but i was consistent and pushed through.  Easy has given both the lo and myself security of knowing what to do next so that now we are not all over the place.  I have read stuff on this site over and over again, and suggest that you have a look around too--it is very helpful.  Know that you are not alone-I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago.  Now I can shower and brush my teeth without waiting for hubby to come home!  Go for it, stick to it, and try to be patient-it will come.  Good luck-remember there are good days and bad, but with this you will have some order to your days.  Let know how you do  Hilary  P.s I start at 7am, made the mistake of letting him sleep longer a couple of times but that threw us off, so i get it as close to 7 as i can

Offline kellie_shakur

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 19:46:34 pm »
Thank you both for your replies. After reading your posts and looking at other posts me and my boyfriend decided to try the shh/patt technique tonight and start her on the EASY 3 hr in the morning were so desperate. Since 8am this morning till 7 pm our daughter has only had 2 n half hours sleep all day since she only goes to sleep when she is bounced or rocked and we always miss her cues since im trying to keep up with demading breast feeding and everything else so right now my boyf has managed to shh pat her to sleep- well he did have her asleep i hear her crying again! - and in the morning is going to be the real challenge starting her on the EASY routine.

thank u both again for your advice hopefully things wil get better here.  :'(
kellie_shakur
   -- x --

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 20:03:04 pm »
Hi,

Welcome to the boards.

I agree with the previous posts - the next few days are going to be rough, but once you have settled her into her routine, you will not look back.

One bit of advice I can give you is start as you mean to go on.  The more persistent you are the easier it will be in the long run i.e the pat /shhhh etc.

Does your lo use a swaddle to go to sleep?  If not, this may help her settle into a better sleep.  Do you use a pacci / white noise etc.

I am going to post a few links for you to have a look at that may be very helpful to you.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62100.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65842.msg493635#msg493635

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=6208.0

I would definitely suggest implementing the cluster feeds as well as the dreamfeed, to help your DD tank up in the evening.  Remember, that it can take up to a week for the dreamfeed to start showing effects on working.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress.

Hope this information helps.

Paula x

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007