Author Topic: 12-month old, won't self feed  (Read 2156 times)

Offline dandjbowman

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 22, 2008, 18:10:38 pm »
Hi All,

I've been worried about this for a few months now and even after talking to our pediatrician I am STILL VERY worried.  My 12 month old DS will not self feed.  I've tried everything you can think of to encourage him.  Different types of foods/textures, put it in front of him and left the room, sat on the floor in the playroom with finger foods and tried to make a game of it...etc.   He will feed ME things but hasn't thought to put it in his own mouth (he puts everything BUT food in his mouth).  He also won't hold his own bottle (sigh).

I think I have just resigned to the fact that he will do it when he is good and ready, but I guess what I am looking for is someone else that has had a problem with their baby doing this at this age.

Any stories you can share would be comforting.

Thanks!

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: 12-month old, won't self feed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 18:33:51 pm »
Yes, over here!  ;D

My son has just turned one and has only recently started feeding himself finger foods. It had me worried for a bit. He would eat anything I put in his mouth but just wouldn't do it himself.

Do you sit together at the table? A lot of what they learn is from mimicing us. So if he sees you and the rest of the family eating he is more likely to copy you.

He will do it. It just won't be til he's ready. Keep offering food.

As for the bottle, think of it as a reason to get cuddles. He'll be off soon enough and won't want them!
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline jaedagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My munchkin at 2 months old.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 20:26:17 pm »
Hey, my son's 15 months and still won't **le sigh**. For him it's he hates being messy/sticky with food. I've tried everything under the sun and come to the point he'll do it when he wants to... Yet, he'll put rock, wood chips, dirt and sand in his mouth. Go figure.

My mom said I was the exactly the same way and didn't start until I was 2.5 yrs old. She calls it pay back time for me! ;)

Just keep offer that yummy food like woopster said. :)

Offline ryancsmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 21:01:13 pm »
Hi there,
I'm so glad i've found this thread.  I have the same problem with my 1 yo and i'm worried too. I've tried everything... but he only plays with the food i put on his tray and throws it on the floor.  Like Jaedagal said, I think he hates being messy and having sticky fingers.  Or he gets impatient and frustrated when it doesn't go into his mouth. 

You gals noticed that it concerns only boys so far on this thread?  Woopster, did your DD self feed at younger age than DS?
Jenny
mommy to Ryan (17 july 2007)