Author Topic: Frequent Night Wakings From 3 to 6 a.m.  (Read 1486 times)

Offline MissChristina

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Frequent Night Wakings From 3 to 6 a.m.
« on: August 10, 2012, 19:23:50 pm »
How old is your child? -- Almost 3 months (He is 10.5 weeks, to be exact).
What’s his/her daily routine? -- 3-hour EASY
What’s nap routine? -- Once I see a yawn or two, or if he starts rubbing his head/face/ears, I take him into the bedroom to get swaddled and placed in the crib. About 75% of the time, he'll need the pacifier (other times, if he's tired enough, he'll fall asleep without the pacifier). Then he lays around by himself for a few minutes before dozing off.
How long are naps? -- About 1.5 to 2 hours (usually hovers around 1.5 hours, and never over 2 hours)
What's bedtime routine? Time? -- Feed at 7 or 7:30 p.m. Bath time at 7:30 or 8 p.m., then lotion with massage, hair brushed, swaddled, then placed in crib sometime by 8:30 to 9 p.m. Sometimes he uses the pacifier. Then he lays by himself for a few minutes before dozing off.
Do you bottle or breastfed?? -- Breastfed from the boob first 2 weeks. Breast milk by bottle from 2 to 7 weeks. Switched to formula at 7 weeks.
How much? or how long? -- Currently, he takes 5oz per bottle. He is an efficient eater and finishes his bottle in 20 to 30 minutes. But he dribbles out from the corner of his mouth, at almost every feed (possibly because he sometimes falls asleep or isn't paying attention). He spits up semi-frequently; at every 3rd feed he'll spit up something during his diaper change. In the past 2 days, he's vomited immediately after a feed.
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) -- When I was breastfeeding, he nursed on both sides at each feed. I also pumped from both breasts when he was taking breast milk from the bottle.
How many wakes per night? -- Recently (for the past week and half), he has been waking up more and more frequently from 3 to 6 a.m. The first few days, he woke once or twice. Now, it's too many times to count!
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? -- He is crying. I immediately give him his pacifier, which calms him down. He falls back to sleep immediately. Sometimes, I try to give him the pacifier, but he's already asleep again from me touching him or re-swaddling him. But he will wake up 15 to 20 minutes later if his pacifier falls out, or if he realizes it's not in his mouth.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? -- He is crying, but not mantra crying.
What have you tried to settle?? -- Pacifier usually. If he is out of his swaddle, I will re-swaddle him (that usually puts him right back to sleep immediately). Sometimes, if I am more awake/aware, I will try to shhh/pat but if I am half asleep, I'm too groggy to realize what to do immediately.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? -- A times are usually about 1 to 1.5 hours (includes feeding, play time, changing diapers, wind-down to nap). Play time includes playing with his rattles/toys, listening to some melodies, looking out the window, looking/staring at the bookshelves, my camera on tripod, tummy time, and chit-chatting (we make eye-contact and he babbles at me, and I will talk back to him, etc.)
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? -- None yet. We are trying to teach him how to hold up his head during tummy time. He is getting the hang of it, but still needs some more practice.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) -- No.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? -- No, I don't think he has a prop. He uses the pacifier to get to sleep, but he doesn't always need it. And he will spit it out once he is asleep. He only really needs it/wants it when he wakes in the night and can't fall back to sleep.
Do they have a lovie? -- What is a lovie?

So.... basically, the problem is that he has been waking up from 3 to 6 a.m. every night. At first, he woke up once or twice, and the pacifier or re-swadding was sufficient in getting him to sleep until morning. But the last few days, his night wakings has gotten more frequent. Now, it seems, he's waking up every 15 to 20 minutes from 3 to 6 a.m., and I can't tell if I should feed him or if this is habitual waking that can be trained to stop?

I've been trying to get him to sleep through the night (I dream feed at 11 p.m., and his first feed in the morning is 7 a.m.) I read on this forum that at his age, he is capable of sleeping 8 hours at night.

But.... at his age, and the frequent wakings for the pacifier, my instinct is that he wants to feed. But again, from this forum, it says that if he takes all his feed during the day he doesn't wake at night. But during the day, when I try to increase his food, he ends up dribbling from the corner of his mouth while eating, spitting up afterwards, or throwing up. So.... that tells me he's NOT looking for more food?? Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. At this point, I can't tell if this is a sleep issue, or a feeding issue, but I suppose I gotta start asking questions somewhere...

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Frequent Night Wakings From 3 to 6 a.m.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 03:43:12 am »
at his age, and the frequent wakings for the pacifier, my instinct is that he wants to feed.
Trust that instinct. Some babies can sleep that long at this age, but not all and its not unusual for a baby to still be feeding twice at night at this point.

Bedtime may be a little late, unless he's getting up for the day around 8am... We aim for a 12hr day and 12hr night where possible.

Offline MissChristina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 04:20:24 am »
Ok, so....  last night, my baby woke at 3 a.m. and I gave him a 5oz bottle. He only finished 3.5oz. At 7:15 a.m., I woke to find him in his crib, calm, looking around. When he saw me, he broke out the biggest baby grin.... it was pretty fantastic. :-)

However, the rest of the day turned into a strange mix of bad feedings and naps:
At 7:30 a.m., after the excitement of his baby grin died down, I finally got his bottle ready for a feed, but he only finished 3.5oz. After some light play, he napped well after.
At 10 a.m., another bottle -- he finished the full 5oz, but vomited right afterwards. After some light play and tummy time, he napped well.
At 1 p.m., another bottle -- he finished the full 5oz. After some light play, a stroll around the block, he napped for about 30 minutes, woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. At 3:30 p.m., after being awake and coo'ing for half an hour, I picked him up for another walk, but he never got tired enough to nap again.
At 4 p.m., another bottle -- he ate 4oz (of a 5oz bottle), and promptly vomited. After cleaning and changing him, he finished the remaining 1oz. Some friends visited, so baby was awake for the visit, and dozed off around 5:30 p.m. for a nap. However, he only slept for about 40 minutes and woke up, not able to fall back to sleep again.
At 7 p.m., another bottle -- he finished the full 5oz. Then, took a bath, lotioned, changed, swaddled and put to bed. However, he had trouble getting to deep sleep. Every time his eyes closed, he would wake after 15 minutes and needed help getting back to sleep. This went on for about an hour -- he finally went into deep sleep at 9:30 p.m. VERY late!

I'm predicting he's going to have a restless night tonight since his naps were so erratic today... I'm not looking forward to the frequent wakings at all!

But I'm planning to do the 3 a.m. feed one more time tonight to see how his schedule goes tomorrow. It's possible that his day was screwed up today because I wasn't feeling well, and baby's daddy didn't know how to feed without distracting him, or soothe him back to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of a nap.

Either way... I'm still hoping to get him to sleep through the night without a feed... and to increase his ounces during the day without vomiting, spitting or dribbling. Would love to get advice on this as well!!

Also.... regarding the 12hr day and 12hr night schedule -- If he wakes at 8 a.m., and his dream feed is at 11 p.m. the night before, isn't that an even longer stretch of time without food? As it is, he's having a hard time staying asleep through the night because he's probably hungry and it's waking him up...? How does this work for my situation?

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 08:31:30 am »
Also.... regarding the 12hr day and 12hr night schedule -- If he wakes at 8 a.m., and his dream feed is at 11 p.m. the night before, isn't that an even longer stretch of time without food? As it is, he's having a hard time staying asleep through the night because he's probably hungry and it's waking him up...? How does this work for my situation?
That's why LO's of this age usually have a dreamfeed and a night feed. They can only fit so much in their little tummies. Shortening the night to avoid a night feed won't get you less night wakings - it will eventually get you more night wakings from LO being overtired.

Either way... I'm still hoping to get him to sleep through the night without a feed... and to increase his ounces during the day without vomiting, spitting or dribbling. Would love to get advice on this as well!!
I'm no bottle feeding expert, but I would say if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. His tummy is only so big, can only fit so much in. It will grow as he grows and that's when he can take more ounces in a feed.

Does he often vomit after a feed? Is it possible he's sick as well? That will throw everything out the window.

I'd say the wakings after bedtime tonight were from him being overtired.

Offline MissChristina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:06:22 am »
I'm no bottle feeding expert, but I would say if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. His tummy is only so big, can only fit so much in. It will grow as he grows and that's when he can take more ounces in a feed.

Does he often vomit after a feed? Is it possible he's sick as well? That will throw everything out the window.

I'd say the wakings after bedtime tonight were from him being overtired.

Actually, I just figured out today that he's spitting up, and is not vomiting (it's not projectile, and has less volume). Also, he's not upset when he spits up... so I think he might be a happy spitter? I was worried he might be sick also... but after some research, I think he's just spitting up.

Anyway, I need more advice about his sleeping! This is what happened last night: I was fully expecting him to be up all night because he was overtired, etc. But he whined a bit at 2:30 a.m. I gave him the pacifier, expecting him to cry again at 3 a.m., at which point, I was planning to feed him. But he ended up sleeping through the night, and didn't wake up until my partner's alarm clock went off at 6:45 a.m.! In fact, my boyfriend didn't even hear the alarm clock, and my son woke us all up crying about the alarm clock. But.... it's so weird that he didn't wake up for another feed!! Could it be because he had over 30oz of feed the day before from the 3 a.m. feed the night before?? I can't figure this out!!

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 02:29:53 am »
Reflux tends to get worse up to 4 months of age, so you may be seeing more symptoms you didn't see before: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

It could be that he'd had enough to eat during the day, it could be that he's at the end of the growth spurt and doesn't need as much, it could be that he was more tired than hungry - did he seem hungrier than usual when he woke at 6:45?

Offline MissChristina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 16:35:33 pm »
Reflux tends to get worse up to 4 months of age, so you may be seeing more symptoms you didn't see before: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

Thanks, I'll look into the reflux symptoms. During his last visit to the pediatricians, I told her about his spitting up and occasional gassy, and she immediately said that he doesn't have reflux. The pediatrician said that a clear sign of reflux is when he cries lying flat on his back... and there's been no problems of that. He loves laying in his playmat...

It could be that he'd had enough to eat during the day, it could be that he's at the end of the growth spurt and doesn't need as much, it could be that he was more tired than hungry - did he seem hungrier than usual when he woke at 6:45?

No, he wasn't hungrier than usual at 6:45 a.m. yesterday He took his bottle at a normal pace, quite calm and pleasant. So, yesterday, he had his full 5oz at every feed... plus 2 bottles of 1oz prune juice/water. He took his dream feed at 11 p.m. without a drop on his bib. He went to sleep... and I didn't hear a peep!

He had a bit of fussiness at 4:45 a.m. this morning, and I even went so far as to heat a bottle for him... but by the time I went back to check on him, he was fast asleep again. I had to rouse him out of his sleep at 7 a.m. today for his feed. This is how he had been sleeping previously -- steadily until morning. So I think you're right.... he probably had a growth spurt last week... and I didn't realize???? I feel awwwwwwful........ sigh.

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 23:50:38 pm »
Good that he slept well for you last night :) We often miss growth spurts and look for other reasons until its over ;) Its quite human to resist change.

Fingers crossed you continue to get good nights.