Author Topic: Please help get baby back into her cot  (Read 1306 times)

Offline LynnC

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:52:13 am »
I have baby girl just turned 1 year old.  She was always a good sleeper and slept through the night from almost 5 months old until she started teething at 9 months.  We would have some bad nights and then get a run of good nights for a couple of weeks which is understandable but she was always sleeping in her cot.  The bad nights seemed to get worse and used to pick her up to comfort her then put her back to her own cot, only thing is I was comforting her more and more as time went on and some nights sitting for over 3-4 hours as everytime I layed her back down she would waken and cry.  Since new year she has ended up in bed with us as I was so physically and mentally exhausted I couldn't stand sitting up all night anymore.  I don't get much sleep with her beside us either as I constantly checking she not too hot, too cold, covers are not near her etc.  I really am an emotional a lot of the time as I need good nights sleep and would love her to go back into her own cot.  Not sure what to try, she falls asleep in my arms every night then carry her to the cot where she will sleep for a few hours before wakening then I cuddle her to sleep maybe one or two more times (depending on the time) before I give in and take her into my bed.  Sorry this message is so long and hope it makes sense, please anyone with any advice would be gratefully received.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Please help get baby back into her cot
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 22:46:58 pm »
hi,

have you read tracy's 3rd book (solves all your problems?)  it has tons of great info in there about this type of situation.  definitely worth buying or checking out of the library.

basically, you need to work on 3 things:  getting your dd to fall asleep on her own, to sleep in her own bed, and to stay asleep in her own bed.  i think you're going to have to do it gradually.  it will be hard work, and you will have to commit to the changes, but it is totally possible. 

some ideas:
- pu/pd is going to work very well for you.  we have an entire board devoted to the technique & tips to help you out.  worth checking out.
- you may want to invest in a small air mattress so you can sleep by the crib the first few nights.  gradually, as she learns to sleep on her own, you can move it farther & farther away until you are no longer in the room

anyhow, there's some info for you to start with.  good luck with sorting out a plan and post back if you need to iron out more specific things.  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline LynnC

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Please help get baby back into her cot
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:24:17 am »
Thanks for the reply - I think I will go and invest in the book and hopefully be able to resolve the problem soon.  I will also have good read through pu/pd board and find out exactly how to do it.  I'm new to this site and havent fully figured my way about yet.  Thanks again much appreciated :)