Author Topic: PETRIFIED of checking my baby at night  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: March 26, 2006, 23:08:34 pm »
Hello there...

Just thought I could maybe share this, perhaps I am not the only one here...

About a month ago I went into our bedroom at night to check our baby boy (we do that maybe once every 30-60 minutes when we are in another room) and he looked so pale and I couldn't hear him breathe. I just got all panicky and imagined the worst. Luckily everything was fine, just the nightlight I had put on made everything and everyone go a wee bit blueish.

But since then I am terrified of going into the bedroom and checking him out. I let DH do it but everytime he checks him i panick as well. Is that normal or am I a bit too scared? I mean I do everything to prevent SIDS but still... I thought it would go away once he passed the 6 months stage but it doesn't!

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: PETRIFIED of checking my baby at night
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 23:33:20 pm »
DS1 is 2.5 and I STILL check on him every time I wake up.  Mind you, he usually has me up several times a night anyway.  'Mama, need tissue, mama wipe nose, mama cover Harry, mama need drink' you get the picture?!?!  Mind you, that last one really winds me up - his drink is probably only 2 inches away from his nose!!!  >:(
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Shdef

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 23:38:03 pm »
So it doesn't go away? Maybe when he is a teenager.

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 00:05:06 am »
No, when they are teenagers you have totally different things to worry about. ::)

Still do it here - SIDS kept me from sleeping for the first year of his life, and now it's a whole new set of worries (most totally unfounded, but when you're laying in bed, not able to sleep, and the house is quiet, well...)

{{{hug}}}
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Shdef

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 00:12:47 am »
Well, the awareness of SIDS will undoubtedly have saved many babies lives.

At the end of my pregnancy I just saw things in a different light. Everything seemed suddenly mingen to me and I had to clean the whole house, I mean every inch. When Scotty was born I just saw E-Coli bacteria on everybody,s hands and everywhere and was frantic about that (still keeping in mind that he does need to be in contact with some bacteria). Now he puts things in his mouth and I worry about him choking. That will last for ages I think. He isn't even mobile yet and I can see him open the drawers and drinking the toilet cleaner. When a horrible looking fighting dog passes us I just imagine...

I'll stop here :(

The worry is just horrible. Maybe I should go to my bed, it's late here

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 01:51:54 am »
Just try not to drive yourself crazy over it.

Keep him safe by making sure your house is as childproof as it gets, and then breathe!! ;)

Trust me, I used to wash the paci every time it fell - then it falls, you wipe it off, put it back in.  Then you get to the point where it's just not all that bad if they take the paci otu of the dogs mouth and put it in theirs ;)  (it's from a joke I read).

But honestly, the worry DOES get better, the more comfortable you are in your situation, being a mom, etc.  But the worries DO change - it might not be so much of what will they do to harm themselves (although those never go away) but how might their feelings get hurt?

It's definately part of being a momma!!! i Know dad's worry - but it just can't be the same!!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Shdef

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 11:46:04 am »
Thanks for the reply :) His daddy is just as bad as I am. He's the legal guardian of his wee brother and sister and he was soooo careful with them His favourite sentence was and is: "Watch out Sam, that could have been your eye!"