Author Topic: Dropping bottles/formula for 14 month old......  (Read 9819 times)

Offline mini me

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
Re: Dropping bottles/formula for 14 month old......
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 12:34:25 pm »
Well, Artemis drank 50mls of milk from the fridge in her sippy with her morning snack, but I could see she didn't like it! 15mins later she guzzled 150mls of water (from sippy like always) and then before nap 250mls warm milk (in her bottle ::) )! Will keep going and keep the milk at snack times as part of her snack and not try to count it as her intake til she starts to take more. I guess as the temp warms up for summer she may automatically go back to wanting cold milk again.
I just hate throwing away the milk when she refuses it and the sippy always leaves around 40mls in the bottom which she can't get out, so I have to overfill it to make up for this loss. It's a Tommee Tippee basic sippy which she loved from day one, but it's the only problem we have with it. But seeing as the top comes off it and it becoms a two handled cup I might start to encourage her to drink the remaining milk without the lid on!
Has anyone else had success and an easy time giving a cup without a lid (obviously I would have to hold it fro her at the moment!!) Is it easier with a straw? I'm not sure about the straw option as I would like her to go straight from sippy to cup without having to go the straw route!!
Andi

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 13:12:50 pm »
andi, formula in sippy is always room temp, slightly warmed in bottle. regarding the amount, hunter used to do 7oz in a bottle (210mL) but will take 4/5oz (120/150mL) max in sippy. i think they tend to drink what they need from a sippy, whereas a bottle they use as comfort so often drink more.

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 15:34:06 pm »
We just started milk or water in a cup with out a lid, and it went fantastically. I couldn't believe it. I did not hold if for him either. I let him drink out of my cup sometimes so I guess he's been having practice. I just put a tiny bit in the cup and kept refilling it and he was so proud of himself. So I say try it. If she gets wet she gets wet.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline babymunkey

• Helen.....call me H
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 19:01:55 pm »
We've been encouraging him to drink from all sorts of things - water bottles, Starbucks coffee cups with the plastic lids on, open cups etc, grown up glasses and he gets it - but we still hold it for him - might wait for warmer weather to teach him what happens when he launches it :P :P DP bought him a Doidy Cup for Christmas so might start with that....

Another poorly day today - in fact worse - last night he woke around 11pm and he was on fire from top to toe - but wierdly not clammy or sweating. Temp was over 40, so we stripped him off, gave him water and Medised then kept him up for a bit til we could see for sure his temp had dropped - then he settled really easily and slept til gone 7 - courtesy of the Medised I guess, but that was a 13 hour night. Then he was really quiet and sleepy all morning - we rang the docs and they said ot give him paracetemol/ibuprofen alternately and that did the trick - he was much brighter this afternoon - slept for an hour, and 20 min catnaps in between......

So ladies, we've dropped the daytime bottle of formula through this sickness - he's done so many naps without it now that we'll can that one and just keep the bedtime one for now.......

H

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 19:43:30 pm »
Hope he gets better soon. *hugs*

Sounds like a good plan :)
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline charmie

• Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12:39 am »
Get well soon Moo  :-* :-*

xxx
charm

Offline mini me

• British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 12:15:43 pm »
Oh the poor thing .. we are so lucky *touching wood* not to have had a temp, cold of any illness with A yet! Please don't let me jinx myself here!! Only a runny nose in UK!
We gave up after the morning drink yesterday as she was in an EVIL mood all day and we were all counting the hours til bedtime!! She must've been slightly off colour as she refused most of her food and was really naughty, whingy and clingy. I know she's young to be naughty, but she was doing things on purpose and then getting really angry, giving real dirty looks ... she almost looked like a teenager!! Much better today tho, so will try again.
She loves having a sip of my tea (before I have added my big spoon of sugar!!) so I may try her with different cups, glasses, bottles etc and make it more interesting for her - good idea Helen.
Andi

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 21:30:58 pm »
Hugs Andi,

I so know what you are talking about though.  My DD does exactly the same thing, knows she should not do something do it, and then just smile.  My DD is going to be one Madam when she grows up :-\
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007