Author Topic: 30 min afternoon nap wakes crying  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2014, 15:23:56 pm »
I'm also getting random short first naps like 40 mins and longer afternoon naps which is odd for him

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2014, 19:28:26 pm »
He's also starting to fight second afternoon nap. He's staying up over 4 hours happy and pleasant but then whrn I try for a nap he fights it. I had to actually take him in car to get a 30 min nap. He also woke up tiday before 530 am and didbt fall back to sleep like he normally does. Although the past few days his crawling on havds and knees which he's never done befire was just army crawling befire. And he's also now pulling himself up to stand. He also cut two teeth. So with all of this new activity could this be causing the funky sleep patterns ?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 30 min afternoon nap wakes crying
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2014, 04:07:55 am »
You can start reading any time :). We did from an earlier age, just keep your voice low and gentle to start with and see how he responds.  He doesn't even have to be looking at the book, the sounds of your voice will probably be enough to begin with. 

When I stopped bf at bedtime I initially offered a sippy of milk in her room but that caused complete outrage ::) so I changed that to offering a sippy downstairs before we headed up for bath and then just stories and cuddles in her room.  It's important to think about teeth brushing as that should come after milk.

Yes developmental changes and teeth can definitely mess with sleep but I'd suspect there's a good contribution from the 2-1 as well x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2014, 01:01:11 am »
He's been waking early and fighting bedtime! He's been doing about 4 hrs A time sometimes longer and then about 2.5-3 before bed depending how long his naps are which are also all over the place ! Im thinking it must be the teeth and the new skills he has now lol. We do a lot of reading since he's a newborn sometimes befire a nap we will just to help him wind down and sit still which these days in hardly ever! But at bed time he's always cranky during changing and just wabts his bottle. It's the only time he really wants or looks for. Bottle. Msybe I'll try books first then pjs then bottle and bed. We are still on two bottles of formula  morning and night. When you drop the morning bottle do you still hold lo on lap and offer milk in cup or do I just offer him a cup of milk in high chair with or before breakfast ?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2014, 20:13:42 pm »
He's also been fighting the afternoon nap. He woke at 12 today and I put him down at 4 and he's been standing up and crying. What do I do?! Yikes

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2014, 07:41:49 am »
APOP like crazy, if that fails after 30 mins or so then earliest bedtime you can manage/are brave enough for!

With dropping bottles there's no right or wrong, you can try LO on his own with a sippy (he may like the independence) or hold him on your knee, it really doesn't matter.  Does he use a sippy anyway for water?  Remember after a year milk is more a drink than a major source of nutrition so if he doesn't take much, don't despair.  He can get plenty of calcium from other food sources (the main benefit of milk for toddlers) and calories from other foods and dairy.  When I stopped bf DD took very little milk as a drink (and still doesn't have a lot) but she has milk on cereal and in sauces and loves cheese/yoghurt so it's never been an issue x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2014, 19:26:20 pm »
The only he place he will sleep is his crib and sometimes in the car so as far as apop I don't have many options. Tiday I tried 3.5 hrs a time instead of 4 befire afternoon nap and he still fought it crying and standing up in the crib. Which he never does. Should I mess around with a time or will that not help ? Thanks

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2014, 12:40:51 pm »
I found at this stage I could sometimes get her to go down in the afternoon after about 4.5h A with some serious AP (cuddles and rocking - not things she usually responded to) - but it wasn't long until we just got 2nd nap refusal regardless (unless the first nap was a less than 30 mins catnap).

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2014, 14:43:23 pm »
He's been fighting both naps and bedtime sometimes too. he stands up plays with his mobile cries has a hard time getting comfortable he will lay down stand up over and over. He usually goes down easy all the time even know his naps aren't always good. I just wonder why he's giving me a hard time going down. The past two days he slept late until 730 when he's usually up 6-7 but then he's tired for morning nap at 3 hrs or the time he usually goes down. When he normally wakes at 630 he goes down at 1030 for a nap so I'm finding the past few days even though he's only up for 3 hrs he's looking for a nap at 1030. Feel like we are going backwards.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2014, 19:43:39 pm »
So when lo refuses afternoon nap do I get him out of crib and try again in 30 mins or so or do u just do EBT? He wakes from his first nap around 1130-12 (so average 1 hour-1.5 hr nap) and he wakes around 6-630 am. So would I just do bedtime at 630 instead of his normal 7 pm?  Geeze that's a long A time from 1130 am!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2014, 11:01:36 am »
I would try again if you can (ie there's time without compromising EBT if nap is refused), otherwise I'd go early early for BT, like 5.30/6pm if you're brave enough.