Author Topic: 8 month old stil catnap? Help  (Read 1152 times)

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:33:59 am »
Hello,

Mij baby does stil catnaps 2 time a day, or 3 times a day for 30 minutes or 45. I thought see would change getting older en sleep longer but it doesn't happen.

She looks tired but doesnt want to sleep before,  I did watch the signs for sleeping and try to get her to sleep what is really difficult, but this was before and i hoped she would change and sleep longer.

What can I do?

Wake at 7,30  put her at sleep at 9,30 because she is tired and cries. If i extend her awake time it is for her like 3 hours of 3,5 should i also count the time she needs to fall a sleep? So 2,45 minutes she is in the living room and dan go to sleep en she has like 20 minutes to fall a sleep? Is this correct? I am a fraid to extend a time and then she will not sleep longer and then i don't have time to put her more times to sleep for a catnap? What can i do
I also dont understand if your baby needs a awake time of 3,5 hour and she awake at 7,30 , where doe you get the time for a second nap.

Like this; 7,30 wake time sleep at 11 and then sleep 1,5 hours baby will awake at 12,30 hour, then again 3,5 hours awake it wil be 16,00 for the second nap? How is this possible? Where do you get the time for a second nap if the awake time is so big?

My routine is;

wake 7,30 
sleep  9,30  for 30 minutes
12.00 again sleep for 40 minutes

14.40 sleep again for 40 minutes
then awake til 7 and then to bed for the night.

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:01:18 am »
O i just put her to sleep at 10.20 and she only slept for 20 minutes so even worse the before how is this possilbe? She was awake at 7.20

Offline Florena49

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 06:37:30 am »
Hi Mary,

You are right that your A times look a little short for an 8 month old.
At this age sleepy cues can be very unreliable, rubbing eyes etc is often just a sign of needing to change the activity. If you had your A times for a while yoir LO will be used to feeling tired at the same time.
I wouldnt jump from 2 hours to 3 straight away, but would increase in 15 min increments until you get a good decent nap and then hold for a few days so things can settle for your LO.

Is she an independent sleeper?

In my experience 20 min to fall asleep is a long time, depending on your LO personality you might need a short or longer wind down routine. LO needs a short one here if i start too early he will cry because is not ready, so we go up to the room 5 mins before he is due a sleep, close blinds, shut the door, sing a song and i put him into his cot and walk out. He pretty much falls asleep straight away.

Viktoria

Mum to Oskar 25/10/2013 and Maksim 19/07/2015

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 17:57:11 pm »
Hi, I stopped looking for those sleepy cues as my LO sometimes shows signs 1h after being awake (she rubs her eyes sometimes yawns). My DD is 9 months old and 3 weeks ago she was on 2h A because I thought she was tired so Im in the process of extending A's, but got stuck on 3:15 and 3:30. It is so consuming, all I want is some predictability and life will be so easy. DD is also waking at 5am every morning and I wish it was 7 or at least 6 ;). It looks like if she sleeps 11h at night (bt at 6 as very tired)  she can manage longer first A.
Extending A can be a long process 15 min every week sometimes that when you finally get there it is a time to extend further and maybe start moving onto the 1 nap a day. It is never ending. HTH

Offline mary12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »
But what is a schedule if your  a time is like 3,5 hours? Can somebody give me a example? I give now my baby a longer a wake time, but she doesnt sleep longer, so this means she evening sleep now less then before.

Offline Florena49

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 13:08:51 pm »
7 wu eat
10.30 nap-11.50/12
3.30-4.10
And BT depending on how long your LO can stay up for after a short nap.

This is only a sample as all LOs are different and some will prefer a short am nap and a longer pm nap.

If u can post your day in easy format we might be able to spot something that needs adjusting.
Viktoria

Mum to Oskar 25/10/2013 and Maksim 19/07/2015