Author Topic: Anyone Want to Talk about the 2-1 Transition? Thread #10  (Read 66378 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
Re: Anyone Want to Talk about the 2-1 Transition? Thread #10
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2010, 16:35:29 pm »
Calebsmummy, thanks for the advice about no the 5:30am wake ups.  My LO had 2 hours day sleep yesterday and woke at 6:30 am this morning which was a 12 hour night.  I hope this sticks and that 5:30am is no longer an option.  I must say I'm glad you experienced this and passed on the advice. 
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2010, 16:43:01 pm »
Today is our first day on short AM/long PM - did anyone find it really hard to keep them awake in the beginning?  Finn was up at 5 after a near 11 hour night...and he was a zombie already by 7 a.m.!  Keeping him up to 8:30 was pretty tough, and then to wake him at 30 min...ugh hehe.  And then the second A time is killing him already too...he's falling over and uncoordinated, his legs are giving out. 
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2010, 17:15:35 pm »
We actually have the opposite problem.  We did short am long pm yesterday and she is much happier being woken up from and am nap than she is a pm nap.  She get really cranky the last A time if I wake her from a pm nap and it really doesn't seem to effect her the same way with an am nap.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2010, 20:16:17 pm »
we are really struggling with waking him, any nap he is woken from he is miserable afterwards, crying, moaning, whining, just wants me only, goes to Daddy and cries! ugh, the one day we did one nap he was amazing, happy little chappy all day because he wasnt being woken up at all, however he just wasnt ready for it either. I want to give the short AM another go, but im not doing anything till after his birthday, i dont want to mess anything up, at the moment its perfect apart from that horrid short PM nap that we have to wake him from!

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2010, 20:21:29 pm »
Jo we'll miss you on here.  But I will stalk erm I mean follow you to the Toddler board hehe.

So I need some thoughts on this:
Awake 5
Nap 30 mins @ 8:30 - 9 (A = 3.5 hrs)
Nap 2 hr 35 mins @ 11:40 - 2:15 (A = 2 hr 40 mins) (now I meant to tell the nanny to wake him at 2 hrs nap but forgot and so he's had a tad too much day sleep - for once in his entire life lol)

What would you do with bedtime...keeping in mind this kid is a very early riser?  And the fact that he's not quite 10 mths yet.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2010, 20:46:18 pm »
eeek thats alot of daysleep!! um I would say a 6pm bedtime? if he can make it.

also for that first nap I would try and put him down at 3 hours if you can other wise he will not be able to handle a decent A time properly.

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2010, 23:47:02 pm »
well yesterday was fantastic, the night was 11hrs 50 minutes and I had to wake him this morning.

Then today he took an 1.5 morning nap but this afternoon I'm not exactly sure what he's doing. I did a wind down and he didn't seem all that tired, but I laid him down. He fussed for about 10 minutes and I went back in to pat/shh for a few and see if it would help. It did and He appeared asleep, and I left but I keep hearing his thumb sucking noises (which I heard while I pat/shh, so I'm not really sure. It's been over half an hour and I haven't heard anything other than the thumb sucking sounds, so should I assume he's asleep? He's pretty active and I can't really picture him just laying in there, but  I have never heard him sucking his thumb like this (he's a thumb sucker, but usually once asleep it's out....that's what makes me wonder). I am so worried about messing up the past few days with this. I SO wish I had a video monitor...off to go see if I can find a used one.

I'm planning on a 7:45ish bedtie (one of his latest ever).
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2010, 23:54:01 pm »
Stephanie - I wouldnt get a video monitor, it would drive me insane, im already a stickler when it comes to the baby monitor as it is!!!! just think about the old days when baby monitors didnt exist, there would be no way of knowing if your LO was asleep or not, you jsut had to presume that no noise meant sleep. If hes as active as Caleb is then there is no way he will be laying there for that long and NOT be asleep, I honestly would give him the benefit of the doubt, he might really just need to suck even when hes sleeping today

Offline okinawamama

• Stephanie
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2010, 11:41:31 am »
alright ladies, I'm not sure what happened. It's 4:40am and my little guy is restless. He woke around 4:10, cried out but quit real quickly (I didn't go to him) stopped. For the past half hour he's just been restless, not actively crying, but tossing turning and the occasional cry out. Here was our day yesterday.
7:10 (woke him)
11:05-12:35 (woke him) this A time was slightly longer, he laid in bed talking for a couple of minutes
4:15-4:50 (woke him) this is that one where I wasn't sure if he slept but he was quiet the entire time so I'm assuming he did.
7:30 bath
8:00 bedtime, fell asleep at 8:10

So do you think OT/UT or fluke? I'll come back and update when he fell asleep (praying he falls back asleep!)

P.S it is ok to ask for advice here right? Or is it supposed to be a place for venting/schedule posting?
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2010, 14:39:54 pm »
Stephanie lovely pic :-)  You two look great hehe.

I hope venting is allowed because can I just say:
3:54 a.m.

That's all.

Offline gavinsmum1

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2010, 15:17:26 pm »
Wendy, I feel for you, I would be off my rocker if J was getting up that early.  BIG HUGS!!!
Hopefully tomorrow's wake-up is a little later.  Maybe it was the extra sleep he got yesterday?

jenniewren

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2010, 15:20:31 pm »
Hi ladies

My lo is 10.5 months and we are in 2-1 transition. Just wondering what you're thoughts are on where we're at..

Some days, when I'm at home with him I can put him down for a 40 min am nap after about 3 - 3hr 15 A time. Then I can usually get him down 3hr 45-4hr later & get an hour pm nap. Which works ok. Any longer than 45 min in the am he fights the pm nap bigtime & ends up missing it. I then put him to bed 6.15pm.

When he is with his childminder he struggles to settle - too much going on I think with other children & lots of fun. Both days there this week he's had 15 minutes all day!!

Yesterday to make up for 3 days of rubbish naps I let him sleep 1hr in the am - 10am-11am, and then drove in the pm (now the snow's melted!!) to give him another hour 2.40pm-3.40pm. But then it took him an hour to settle & wasn't asleep til 8pm - usually asleep by 7pm.

Today he missed his am sleep cos we were out & he fell asleep in the car at 1.15pm & is still sleeping at 3.15pm.

Do you think I just need to take it a day at a time and do the best I can with the short am nap and longer pm? It is so tempting to just try one nap for a few days and see how it pans out, as our routine is all over the place at the moment!! He seems to cope easily with 4hr A time at any point in the day. A good night is 11-11.5hr, sometimes 12hr if he's had not much sleep during the day. If he's had very little sleep at night he does go much longer stretches and often wakes only once.

He still wakes at night randomly once or twice - I BF him when he wakes as weight has been an issue - dropped from 50th%tile to 2nd, and not a massive solids eater either...he's under 17lb. So he settles back within 10mins.

Any thoughts?

JEnx

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2010, 21:32:26 pm »
Stephanie - its fine to ask for advice here, this is the place to do it!! Im not sure why he was up so early, did he go back to sleep?

Jen - I personally think if your nights are fine then that means your days are actually fine. I wouldnt push him to 4 hours too much though, sometimes they can handle these times well but after a few days OT builds up and they crash and then you ahve a mess on your hands, i know Caleb can actually do 5-6 hours A times happily sometimes but I would never do it more than one day without going back to normal A times the next day so thats just something to be careful of :)

well today is my little mans birthday, I will be a busy busy lady today!!

Offline okinawamama

• Stephanie
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2010, 22:17:03 pm »
Jo, how wonderful! Have a blast on this special day.

I'm not sure why he woke early either, but he did go back to sleep until about 6:45. Today has been a little wonky. We have had to UT naps. UGH. He is ready for an increase in A time I think.

6:45 wake
S: 10:30-11:15
S: 2:30-3:15

I think we'll be shooting for 4hr A time in the morning form here on out. I am surprised I got an UT nap after 3.15 min A after a short nap. Ah well. We will be pushing to a 7pm bedtime. Hope he doesn't get too OT.

Wendy, I can't believe your LO's A time. Glad he was able to go back to sleep. I too was a little nervous for a while this morning.
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2010, 22:36:47 pm »
I can't believe his A time either, lol.  And neither can he really.  He overdoes it and then crashes like a maniac.  So A times are the key to everything and always have been. 

Good luck with the night Stephanie!  Let's not meet up on here tomorrow at 4 a.m. lol