Author Topic: Does this sound like an overtired waking?  (Read 799 times)

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Does this sound like an overtired waking?
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:24:53 am »
We have been tweaking my DS's routine to drop the catnap.  It has only been 2 days but both nights he has woken between 9 & 9:30 absolutely SCREAMING for 15-20 minutes.  We do pu/pd and pat/shhh.  Here is what yesterday looked like:

7:30 BF

9:40-11:30 Nap #1
11:30 BF
1:00 Lunch
2:00-4:10 Nap #2
4:15 BF
6:30 BF
7:15 Asleep - He seemed tired, but didn't appear overtired
9:30-Up screaming for 15-20 minutes
1:45am BF

This bedtime is about 30-45 minutes earlier than it was with the catnap.  Should we be moving bedtime earlier a bit until he gets used to the new routine?  The only thing is, he has been awake this morning since 6:40 (still in his room until 7:20).

Thanks.

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
Re: Does this sound like an overtired waking?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:29:39 am »
I wouldn't have thought he was overtired.  Usually if that's the case they have difficulty in getting off to sleep in the first place.  My thought was he might be hungry, have you thought about doing a dreamfeed?  Might get rid of the 1.45 wake up as well.

Early waking might be because the balance of his morning nap with the rest of the day may need to be changed.  Is the morning nap the same time as when you had the catnap?  If so, you might want to try and move it a tiny bit later otherwise you've moved his whole day earlier with the earlier bedtime and therefore you'll get the early morning wake up.

Hope this helps
Jenny

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Re: Does this sound like an overtired waking?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 13:30:01 pm »
Thanks, I didn't think it was hunger, for 2 reasons,...it was only 2.5-3 hours after his last feed, and if it was hunger he wouldn't have gone back to sleep for 4 more hours before waking again.  Does that make sense?

I have never done a DF as when I tried it, it seemed to cause more night wakings.

I am working on extending his A time before his morning nap, but that is the one he seems to have most trouble extending.