Author Topic: How to get my 15MO to sleep longer at night and nap?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline alemattos

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to get my 15MO to sleep longer at night and nap?
« on: March 19, 2014, 21:14:11 pm »
My son is almost 16 months old and he's been sleeping through the night for a while. However, he has never slept much more than 10/10.5 hours. Rarely, he will sleep for 11/12 hours.
He goes to bed at 7pm, and wakes up before 6am, which is a little difficult for my family.
He's been on 1 nap for the past month and he also doesn't sleep very much. He usually sleeps for 1 hour. Sometimes 1:15/1:30.
Is there anything I can do to help him sleep longer, or maybe he just doesn't need more sleep?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: How to get my 15MO to sleep longer at night and nap?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 05:49:46 am »
Hi can you post your day in easy format so we can have a look pls.
Wu 0600
Nap 1-2pm
Bedtime 7 pm
Something like this pls. Thanks

Offline alemattos

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 13:38:39 pm »
Here it is:
WU 5:45
Nap 12:45/1 for 1h
Bedtime 7

Thank you!

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 04:32:09 am »
Hi I got a feeling your LO might be a bit OT to take a longer nap. My LO just turn 15 mth and she went down to one nap at 11 mth. Her easy is
Wu 0600 out of bed 0645
Nap 1215/1230-1400/1430
Bedtime 1915

Her a time is less than yours and even with that about 45 min to 1 hr is quiet time in bed if she wakes early I don't pick her up till 0645 so she lying quietly in bed rolling or chatting to herself.

Have you tried early nap time? Say put him down at 12 to see if he will sleep longer? I got a feeling he might need a shorter a time the morning or u have to pull your bedtime back for him to catch up on his sleep otherwise u are stretching both ends of the day n he is likely OT. Why don't you try this for a few days to see if it helps.

Wu 0545
Nap 1145/1200-1400
Bedtime 1900

Let me know. Hope it works. *hug*

Offline alemattos

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 05:02:51 am »
Thank you for your reply!

After posting my question, someone moved my post to the toddler section, and I had the chance to see other posts (I didn't know there was a toddler section  :-[). Today I did what you just said: I put him down right before 12. And he slept for 2:45!

In the mornings, not matter what time he wakes up, I only pick him up at 6:45 too.

I was afraid of doing an earlier nap because he constantly gets OT if he doesn't nap in the afternoon, and would wake up at night a lot. And if I do an super early bedtime, we do have an even earlier WU time. Sometimes as early as 4:30...

Our schedule today was:
WU 6:38 (he woke up later, I don't know why)
Nap 11:45 until 2:30 (I could not believe this. It was a record!)
Bedtime 7:15 (I try to put him to sleep at 7, but he is very active and I have to have a longer routine for him to calm down)

My questions is: What would you do if I put him down at 12, and he only sleeps for 30/45min?

Thank you once again! Hopefully we will have a later wu time tomorrow morning.

*hugs*

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:20:16 am »
Wow more than 2 hr nap is very good. It depends how your little one handle OT and his mood really. My little one is low sleep need baby. How I know...because I keep a log for 2 weeks n found out she needs less sleep than normal baby her age n still wake up happy.

When he wakes up is he happy? Or grumpy?

If my LO short nap 40 min which is OT nap when they are on one nap I will try to resettle her rocking or anything to try toget her to sleep. So if I put her down at 1230 woke up at 1315 n unsuccessful with settling then I will get her up and do a early bedtime like 1800. ( meaning aiming to be asleep at 1800) so u might have to start ur wind down routine very early like 5ish and hopefully she will tag on sleep and do 12-13 hr. u will be surprise if u do early enough they will catch up on sleep.

Try to be consistent with the time to put LO to nap and bed. Try for a few days their body wil need to readjust to the new routine.

Good luck. Hope it helps.

Offline alemattos

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:41:09 am »
I think my LO is a low sleep need baby too. I have a log of his sleep for almost a year now, since I started sleep training him.

He's been waking up happy, even from short naps, but he will get grumpy later on the day.

Thanks for all your help. Let's see how this first week goes with this change on his nap.