Author Topic: 11 month old, need ideas!  (Read 798 times)

Offline pjsmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 month old, need ideas!
« on: December 08, 2006, 18:10:23 pm »
:-\ Hi! I had a most on here a few months a go and then lost it! That's alright now! Time for something new!
    We have been very inconsistent about putting our little boy on an EASY schedule. My husband and I are both full-time college students and both work part time so it has been difficult to get our son, PJ, on a routine. He will be a year old on the 29th of this month and now that we are out for Christmas break we are ready to get him on track!
    Up until yesterday PJ has been breastfeeding 4-5 times a day and then 3 times at night and sleeps with us in our bed. Yesterday, I started the EASY transition and would like to wean him to only breastfeeding 2-3 times a day, and not at all during the night. I have NO clue what to do for his schedule. This is what he does right now:
5am- b/f and sleeps on the breast til 7
7am- up, changed, dress, play, breakfast (few bites of kix or cheerios or toast. Doesn't eat a whole lot of anything)
730am- plays
945am-10am -b/f and falls asleep on breast,
11am- up, changed, eats lunch with me eats between 2-3 TBSP (usually ground up meats, veggie of some sort and sippy of milk( 1/2 -1 oz))
1130- plays
1245- b/f til bored or sleeps (I leave for class at 1 so he's with his dad after this)
-cat naps and eats a little here and there with his dad until 5 or so
5 - dinner with us again between 2-3 TBSP (usually ground up meats, veggies, rice or potatoes and sippy of milk(about 1/2 oz))
-plays and is super tired and clingy til 7, then b/f and sleeps (unless I am working then he is just crabby for by hubby til I come home around 9)
7-9- sleeps sometimes between these times for about an hour and then gets up and won't go to bed unless we do. Usually goes to bed at 10 with us on the breast in our bed.

I would really like to wean down the b/f and increase solids but am not sure what to be feeding or how often. Yesterday, started pu/pd in his crib and he screams hysterically for about 1-1/2 hours and only sleeps for about 45 min-1 hour. Finally got him to bed last night at 1030, then he was up screaming at 1230, b/f solidly til 1 then PU/PD til 130, woke up screaming at 230, PU/PD 330, woke up screaming at 440, PU/PD til 5, woke up at 550 screaming, b/f and slept til 8. Both of us were so exhausted at this point I couldn't wake either of us up til 8!
What is the optimal schedule for this age? How much and what solids should he be eating? Should I still mash his foods or just small pieces now? And how does b/f fit in? I would love to start him on the EEASY schedule (with elimination) by the end of the month, but gotta get this down first.
Thanks for your help!

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: 11 month old, need ideas!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 22:06:13 pm »
Hugs, sounds like you and your DP are going through a really rough time.

From what I can read from your post, your DS uses your breast as a prop, and will not sleep unless he is breast fed to sleep.  This is what you are going to have to wean first before trying to cut our your breasfeeds during the day.

This is going to be hard, and suggest you pop over to the Props board where the lovely ladies will be able to give you some great advice on breaking the assiciation with breastfeeding and sleep.

You may find that it would be easier for your DH to do the PU/PD in the evenings, as your lo is still able to smell your milk and will associate the sleeping with your breast.

Our schedule at 11 months looked something like this.

7:00 - Bottle and breakfast straight after each other.

9:00 - Small piece of toast as a snack

10:00 - Sleep

11:30 -Lunch followed by a small yogurt

2:00 - bottle

3:00 - sleep

4:30 - dinner - followed b small yogurt

6:30 - bottle

7:00 - Bed

I would definitely suggest upping your solid intake - All the nursing throughout the night is interfering with your DS's appetite.  I would defintiely try to cut out the night feedings to help your lo take more food / milk during the day.

You received some excellent advice in your previous post with regards to a schedule:-

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=74427.0

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

Paula x

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline pjsmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 06:12:05 am »
 :)Thank you so much for your help and advice! I am working on a written schedule at the moment so my DH and I can keep it consistant. Thank you for sending me my last post! I really wanted to read them again, and you are so right! They are very helpful! I played on the homemade baby food site and it has wonderful ideas and recipes! Exactly what I have been looking for! I am sure my baby will love homemade foods because he loves what we are eating. Not to mention, some of their recipes sound great for ME to eat too! It will be easy to incorporate this into mine and my husbands schedules also. I will keep you posted on whats happening! Went to bed with only 30 min PD tonight....that's progress from yesterday! Lets hope he stays asleep for longer than an hour tonight!
Loves-
Heather

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 20:06:12 pm »
That is great that you found some good recepies.

30 minutes, that is definitely an improvement.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007