Author Topic: Baby never sleeps through to next feed  (Read 718 times)

Offline MomforAidan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Baby never sleeps through to next feed
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:32:37 am »
Hi, overall I have a really content baby, and I have loosely been following the EASY routine, but lately my 9 week yr old only naps for and 1 - 1 1/2 at a time. So if I feed at say 10am, he is tired and I put him down at 11a, but then he's awake again at noon or shortly after, but it's only been 2 hrs since his last feed so I do not want to feed him right away. I have tried putting him back to sleep but it doesn't work, so I have just been bringing him to where I am and putting him in the swing or bouncy chair and then he just hangs out (contently), and I just wait till he really starts looking hungry or starts fussing, usually this is 2 1/2 hrs since the last feed, and then I feed him.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have tried extending his awake time in b/w feeds but he doesn't like to have activity for more than 30-45min at the most. It's just that if he wakes from a nap and I keep him up for awhile before feeding, by the time he's done feeding he's kind of sleepy already because he's alreay been up for awhile.

Any tips? Thanks!

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Baby never sleeps through to next feed
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:01:22 am »
is your LO bottle or breastfed? 2-2.5 hours between feeds is not unusual for 9 weeks. I know many LO's who can't go longer, especially bf. 1.5 hours is a good length for a nap. Sounds like your LO is on the right track, just aim for more 1.5 hour naps in place of those 1 hours and you should avoid overtiredness.
Kimberly

Offline MomforAidan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Baby never sleeps through to next feed
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 18:45:01 pm »
Hi, thanks for the advice. My son is breastfed only. Any tips on trying to extend his naps past an hour? I have tried re-swaddling, giving a pacifier, but then he'll just start fussing again in less than 10min so then I usually just get him up. But then it seems his awake is split between before the next feed and after the feed. He seems happier if he eats right after waking and then has longer awake time but if I feed him after an hour nap it's only been 2 hrs since last feed and since he's not that hungry he won't feed for very long. He seems to feed best if it's every 3 hrs but sometimes I can't hold him off till then and he's not that interested in playing after a shorter nap.