Author Topic: Getting worse instead of better... please help!  (Read 826 times)

Offline samson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting worse instead of better... please help!
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:35:05 am »

We are new to BW and just started pu/pd 5 days ago to get our lo to go to sleep by herself instead of being bounced to sleep, and to try for longer naps since she seemed overtired/fussy quite often. Initially we were amazed at how well it worked (first two days were remarkeable, never took more than 20 minutes to get her down to sleep, usually much less, and she slept well and seemed much happier during A times), but the last three days things seem to be getting progressively worse. I'm hoping you can help me figure out what we're doing wrong. Here are the answers to the basic questions:

How old is your child? 4 months 1 week
What’s his/her daily routine? she has been roughly on a 3-hr EASY since birth - ie she ate every three hours and we always kept her up for playtime after eating, but naps very rarely lasted long enough to get her to the next E. Lately we've been moving to more of a 3.5 hr schedule (hoping to get to 4) and working on extending the naps using pu/pd when she wakes after 45 min.
What’s nap routine? into room, close blinds and dim lights, quiet talk and cuddle in rocker, then into crib. note this is new - in the past I bounced her to sleep and she slept downstairs in pack n play, or she catnapped on me or in stroller/car.
How long are naps? used to be 30-45 minutes max, now extending to 1.5 hrs using pu/pd
What's bedtime routine? Time? bath, massage and jammies and then same sequence as for naps. usually between 8-8:30pm.
Do you bottle or breastfed?? breastfeed exclusively
How much? or how long?  she is very fast - usually 10 minutes or less. when I express she takes about 6 ounces.
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) usually one side per feed.
How many wakes per night? used to DF at 11pm and then not hear from her until 5-6am. now she is waking every hour or less.
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? very upset. sometimes settles quickly with a pat and the paci, other times needs pu/pd for increasingly longer lengths of time.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? crying frantically - screaming at top intensity. what is a mantra cry?
What have you tried to settle?? shh/pat, pu/pd, and pacifier
What do you do for A time and how long is it? A time ranges between 1 and 2 hours, usually 1.5. Playgym, out for walks or errands, play group, swing, etc.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? don't think so.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) no
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? pacifier
Do they have a lovie? no

She used to be a very good night sleeper (after being put to sleep bouncing) and rarely woke. Naps have always been a challenge - she napped for long periods only on my chest, and when put down (asleep) to nap always woke after 30-45 minutes max. As I said, initially pu/pd and the new nap routine (crib for proper naps) seemed to be working really well, we were able to extend nap times and get her to go to sleep independently in her crib after <10 minutes of pu/pd. But over the last 2 days or so, things are getting progressively worse and I feel awful for her - what are we doing wrong?
It seems that now that we've introduced pat/shh and pu/pd she needs that whenever she stirs during sleep, whereas before she must have just resettled herself... is that possible?? Since being put down to bed tonight at 8pm, she has woken 4 times already (it's 10:30!), and during naps today she woke every 20 minutes.
Another thought... could it be that now that she is napping in her crib as well, she has lost the difference between nighttime sleep and daytime sleep??

thanks in advance for any help....