Author Topic: can I use breast feeding to extend the nap?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline duoduo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
can I use breast feeding to extend the nap?
« on: January 24, 2015, 04:46:46 am »
Hi, my lo is 3.5-month-old now, started with mix feeding, but he is dropping bottle now. he is a really bad sleeper, especially at night, wakes up every 1.5 hours, every time he wakes up, I feed him to sleep. and his naps, there are 4 in total, normally 1st and 4th ones are longer than 2nd and 3rd,

for1st nap, if I feed him after he cries, he can sleep for another hour which makes the nap last for 1.5 ~ 2 hours.
for 2nd & 3rd naps,they are only half hour~ 45mins, I want he to take bottle, so they are short as he hates bottle, feeding bottle can't extend the nap.
for 4th nap, he can sleeps longer than 1 hour without any help.

my questions are:
1. can I use breast feeding to extend the nap? will it become a prop?
2. normally they say 2nd nap is the longest one, but how come mine is the shortest?
3. I did try to use shush pat to extend the nap, but doesn't work, instead of extending, that actually wakes him up ealier
4. 4 days ago, he only had 3 naps, the 4th nap continues with bed time, and today, 2nd and 3rd ones are only 15~20mins, what wrong with him? what can I do to help him have better routine?

thx.

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: can I use breast feeding to extend the nap?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 16:27:51 pm »
Well yes, you absolutely can use it to extend. It will become a prop but it is nothing you can't sort out later. to figure out what works f

Both of mine always had ongest 1st nap and 2nd shorter, it can all be so individual!

Some LOs prefer some variation on shh/pat, say, maybe rubbing and no shh or just a gentle hand on the back or side.

Those 20 minute naps smack of discomfort, what is the latest on the LOs reflux? What does your EASY look like, LO could be OT or UT.

3.5 months is a rough time for sleep, it will be OK.

Maryn

[/url]

Offline duoduo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:28 am »
thank you for reply.
When I ask if it’s ok to do it, I am expecting yes or no , if it will become a prop, I will just stop doing it as I only started it couple days ago, it’s not too late to stop it.
He used to have reflux symptoms, but never being diagnosed as reflux, and for now , the only symptoms is short night sleep interval.
 The 1st day he took 15~20 mins naps , I thought it’s occasional, today is the 3rd day of short naps, and he smiled at me when he woke up, so I just let it be. 
We don’t really have EASY, I just let him guide me, feed when he wakes up, and take nap after 1~1.5 hours A time. Since his naps are vary, it’s hard to stick to either 3 or 4 hours EASY, I just post today’s here:
8:20 ~ 8:30 wakes up & eat
8:30 ~ 9:50 1hour 20mins A time
9:50 ~ 11:15 1.5hour nap   1st
11:15~11:20 eat
11:20 ~ 12:45 1hour 25mins A time
12:45 ~ 1:05 20 mins nap  2nd
1:05 ~ 2:45 1hour 30 mins A time, including 20ml bottle . ( I had a nap myself, he was took care by grandma)
2:45 ~ 3:15 30 mins nap 3rd
3:15 ~ 4:40 1hour 25mins A time, including eating
4:40 ~ 6:00 1hour 20 mins nap 4th, but cries 3 times during, including one breast feeding, I tried to use feeding to extend his sleep, but didn’t work.
6:30 poop, shower, bottle after
8:00 bed time, cries 2 times after half hour.
Don’t know what time he will get up as I am writing today’s EASY, it’s not there yet, 
Thank you for help.

Offline nevinsmama

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:46:31 am »
Well, what jump out to me is a LONG day with 1 good nap. I would really try to keep the day no more than 12 hours long, especially with lousy naps as OT builds up and that won't help your night! Have you tried an A time push to 1 hour 45 to see if you get better naps? It is quite possible that 2 decent naps and a CN at this age could help the night sleep, a longer nap that late in the day can throw things off a bit. Glad you got a chance to nap, those long nights can be draining. :) Hang in there!

Maryn

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:38:45 am »
Yes as pp says feeding back to sleep will become a prop if you're doing it on a regular basis rather than just a one off.

Sometimes waking frequently to eat is the only visible symptom of reflux so I'd look at that again.  20min naps are often discomfort. Does he ever spit up the milk or get hiccups?

Looking at your EASY I'd perhaps try to push the A time a touch to see if that helps. If he only takes 20 ml from the bottle are you offering the breast shortly after? I would especially at BT as otherwise he will be too hungry to sleep.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline duoduo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 04:41:18 am »
thank u for replies.

My love does spit up the milk or get hiccups, but not often, I should say actually it's rarely, he used to have reflux symptoms, but never been diagnosed as reflux, usually we talk to paediatricians which I already did, none of them think my boy has reflux, and the way to diagnose is taking trial medication, every med has side effect, I don’t want to try it on a baby unless it’s really necessary, especially he doesn't have many symptoms now, the only symptoms is short night sleep interval. So I don’t know what to do, I am kind of stuck here. maybe all I can do is suck it up, hoping when he gets older/bigger, he can sleep longer stretch.

I know the day time routine affects night sleep, but since my boy has short night sleep since he was born, I am not sure how much stable EASY can help, but maybe it's still worthy to try.

About his eating, he is dropping bottle, so he only take 20 or 30ml once, I don’t feed him breast right after unless it has been closed to 4 hours interval. I don't know if short nap is affected by hungry or not as his 2nd nap is always short which is 30 mins, just started 5 days ago, it get shorter to 15~20mins, the 4th day, grandma just let him play until he was tired, so the A time was 2 hours, and he slept 1hour 20 mins, I thought that’s the resolution, so on day 5th which is today, I did the same thing, but he only slept 30 mins again which makes me lose my mind, maybe next time I should try to keep the A time longer than usual but not as long as 2 hour, so probably 1hour 45mins should be enough?

thx.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:19:34 am »
Yes I would try 1hr45.

In the UK the first trial of meds for reflux is usually infant gaviscon which just sits on top the milk stopping it flowing up the oesophagus and causing pain. I don't think it has serious side effects so maybe you could try that? I've heard of so many people (my nephew for one) who had awfully disturbed night sleep and reflux meds sorted it right out despite few other symptoms.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:27:43 am »
Where does your LO nap and sleep at night - are you using a swing or a crib at all??

Elevating the head of a crib/cot can help. Or using a wedge.

If you really want to avoid a meds trial you could think about a trial of a thickener to see if it eases things. Some can be given to BF babies. Where in the world are you because products obviously change with different countries.

Offline duoduo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 00:39:30 am »
thank you for everyone's input.

my boy sleeps/nap on regular mattress with me, I don’t put him in crib as I need to feed him often at night, in the past couple days, there are positive changes in his night sleep, I will keep trying on his EASY and hoping it helps with his night sleep.

I am in Canada, what’s thickener? Where can I get it? Do I need prescription?

thx.