Author Topic: Pets  (Read 1802 times)

Offline MeAndVee

• Me & Vee
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • You talkin' to me?
Pets
« on: November 18, 2009, 16:25:18 pm »
DS is almost 27 months.  He LOVES animals.  And I often catch him sitting quietly pretending to pet a kitty or a puppy or one of his stuffed toys.  I love cats and haven't had one since I married way back in 2001 and I really miss having one.  My only concern is the litter box and the food and him being too rough.  But I imagine it would be no problem to put those items in the upstairs bathroom {upstairs is gated off for now}.  Would it be a good idea to get a pet at this age or should I wate until he is a bit older?  He is an only child and doesn't go to day care so his days are pretty boring here with mom {we do go to story time and play outside with the other youngsters in the neighorhood}.  I know what he really would like is a puppy but I rememeber how HARD it was house breaking my puppy when I was a teen and I am having just as hard a time potty training him...both are oddly similar by the way!  Pros and Cons folks...Thanx!
Catherine - Sri - Vee

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Pets
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 16:29:31 pm »
I think kittens can be pretty difficult with toddlers too... I always laugh at the phrase 'gentle as a kitten' - all the kittens I have ever known have been intent on practising their hunting skills! And toddler toes make perfect prey! I think a kind, patient, adult cat (perhaps a rescue cat) is great though. Our cat is a horrible grumpy old man, can be really aggressive, but Stan is learning to be patient and gentle with him. We also have Stanley feed the cat (we measure out the food into a cup, and Stan pours it from the cup into the cat bowl). It is starting (only starting!) to give Stan the idea of responsibility towards pets, and encouring Jnr the cat to have a grudging respect for Stan.

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 20:37:10 pm »
Our cat was about 7 when Enfys was born; I'd agree with Anna in that a kitten and a toddler are probably not a good mix.  I would go for a rescue cat, young adult if possible that's not gotten old and grumpy yet!!! 
Have you considered a small pet like a guinea pig?  They can be very sociable and are quite easy to look after. 

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 20:44:21 pm »
Whether cat or dog, I would look into getting a rescue animal so you don't have to deal with a puppy or a kitten.  They are just too much work!!  I like the guinea pig idea too.  :)  You can start really small, maybe a fish, and work up to something bigger.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline MeAndVee

• Me & Vee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 20:56:10 pm »
I though about getting a guinea pig but they require large cages and I just don't have the funds plus they are happier in pairs.  My sister had one and they are a fun pet.  Not that cats are cheap to take care of!

I also thought hamster.  They prefer to live alone, fun habitrail thing they live in.  The cages can be pricey too though and I don't like handling them because I seem to always get bitten and I would worry about Vee getting bitten too.

I was thinking a shelter kitten but a shelter cat would be just as good.  Everyone wants kittens I'd be rescuing an older cat that otherwise would be stuck their.  Double bonus!  Now to convince DH that we NEED a cat!

My sister has the tom cat that we got as a Valentines present back in 94.  He was born Dec 25 1993!  He is a good old man...nervous but a sweety.  I'd take him but my sister might have something to say about that.  

I have three names picked out: Pyewacket, Spooky, and Archer.  

Anyway thanx for the suggestions folks!  Bye.
Catherine - Sri - Vee

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]

Offline MeAndVee

• Me & Vee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 20:58:09 pm »
I would do fish but haven't a clue on how to care for one.  I should do some reading on the topic!
Catherine - Sri - Vee

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 21:03:37 pm »
My cat would love it if we got a fish...

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 21:38:52 pm »
Fish are sooooooooooooo easy.  coldwater fish, I mean, not tropical ones.  We bought a Bio Orb tank last Christmas and and we have one goldfish in it and I've literally changed the water once maybe?  We're also still on the same package of food.  I suppose if we had more fish or a smaller tank it would be trickier but we also only feed it about twice a week too.  So easy.  And Enfys loves the fish.   

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 22:13:11 pm »
Yeah, I think simple fish are pretty easy.  As for the cost of a guinea pig cage and such, keep in mind that the accumulated vet costs for a larger animal will probably end up being more than the startup costs of a smaller one.  Sometimes you can get a package from some pet stores that include the pet, cage, and startup stuff, etc.  I had hamsters growing up, they're not that fun I'm afraid.  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012