Author Topic: Going backwards!!  (Read 862 times)

Offline LizWaby76

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:32:47 am »
Hi all

Some advice hugely needed please!

My 7 week ds has been on 3 hour easy for a while. I am tackling the usual issues of short naps and early wakings but the current problem is his night wakings. He is waking earlier and earlier! Am I missing something? ???  ???

Next week I'm going to start to extend to 3.5 easy as he's not that fussed at 3 hours. Will this help?

Thank you!!

️Xx

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Going backwards!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:17:54 pm »
Could you post a full typical day for us, including when the NWs occur?  What do you do to settle him?  I assume he's having some feeds overnight?

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:53:38 pm »
Hi

Thank you for your reply, so this is a typical day for us:

E - 7.00am
A
S - 8.30 (he will fall asleep in pram on school run and stay asleep till next feed)

E - 10.00am
A
S - 11.00 (takes me 20 mins or so to settle him swaddled and he will only sleep for about 45 mins tops and  cries until next feed)

E - 1.00pm
A
S - 2.15 (i put him in the pram and we go for a walk until school pick up and he will stay asleep until next feed)

E - 4.00pm
A
S - 5.00pm ish (30/40 min cat nap in sling)

Bath - 6.15
E - 6.30
S - 7.00pm

He was waking at 2 and 4.30 ish and then at 7. But last few nights he has woken at 11.30, 2.30 and then last night at 4.40am.  I fed him at 11.30 and 2.30 although at this feed he was not really interested. Then at 4.40 he was just awake and not crying so I just waited it out and he dozed on and off until 6.15. Normally I will try not to feed him until 7 as he isbt hubgry, he just wants to get up!

I swaddled him and he is not a fan but doesn't have the controls yet to remove, when I went in at 6.15 as he was crying he had worked one arm free and was like a windmill !! Am hoping that when we can remove this, he will self soothe as we don't use a dummy.

I don't know if this will improve on its own or if I need to be doing something to help guide him. I can't believe how much I've forgotten since I did this last  :-\

Thank you xx

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 23:46:36 pm »
Hi, any suggestions great fully received!  ::)

Xx

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Going backwards!!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 20:20:12 pm »
So sorry not to get back to you sooner, sleep deprivation is fogging my brain at the moment.....

Your EASY doesn't look too bad at all considering how little he is - well done!  That first A may be a bit long, up to around 1h15 would be the max for most babies of this age.  But he seems to catch up well despite the short nap in the middle of the day.  If you can get him down a bit sooner after the short nap it may help even more, but to be honest many people would kill for that kind of a day at this age!

There is a funny developmental thing (Google the wonder weeks) around 8 weeks from due date which could be related to the sleep disturbance.  There are also frequent growth spurts so if in doubt I would feed as you have been doing.  I suspect it may just be a case of waiting it out as so much will change in the next few weeks anyway. 

Keep up the good work :)