Author Topic: 6 weeks old already very addicted to feed to sleep, help  (Read 755 times)

Offline Bella´s mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 weeks old already very addicted to feed to sleep, help
« on: October 01, 2014, 00:03:21 am »
Hi!
I have been following this forun since DD was born, nearly 7 years ago and love it! 😃
Never felt like I need to post as all my questions have been asked before 😃
DS is now only 6 weeks but already very addicted to BF to sleep... He wont't take a dummy from me but maybe from grandma or DH
Just wondering if it's too early to any sort of sleep training... Have been trying for 2 weeks... Pat/Sush only works for 2 min or so, He screams really loudly and seems to go on forever, no dummy, rock to sleep, sing, nothing seems to settle him...
Even if I BF to sleep, most times he wakes up the very same minute he is put to bed...
Have tried gentle removal and now he became anxios while BF sort of expecting it to happen...
Any suggestion, please?
Thank you in advance

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: 6 weeks old already very addicted to feed to sleep, help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW, and congratulations on your sweet new baby :)

At this age, feeding to sleep is part of life, really, isn't it?  I mean, a lot of babies have a hard time staying awake long enough to do a full feed without having a bit of a snooze!  So don't beat yourself up about it please.  What I would say you could try is getting yourselves on the E-A-S pattern, so try feeding him right after he wakes up, then doing a little 'activity', even something as simple as a nappy change, and then go for nap time. Do a good wind-down, try to get him into the cot or crib drowzy but awake, don't worry if you don't and definitely feel good if you do.  I wouldn't go for gentle removal at this age, he's way too young, and he won't understand it.  As I say, it's a lot to do with A times, as he gets older and stays awake longer, it'll be easier for everyone to tell the difference between feeding time and sleeping time.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Bella´s mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 17:27:18 pm »
Thank you so much for the reply!
Yes, we tried the nappy change but gives him reflux and hicups that last forever  :(
Not sure if he will have reflux, as DD had it really bad, he generally seems well.
He screams as soon as he notices he is out of my breast... Even if it's for a burp... That's what worries me.
I have just put him for a nap and saw he couldn't feed anymore, probably too full he was pulling my nipple and arching his back, so put him for a burp with a bit of crying... Rocked him and he calmed down, put him to bed nearly asleep and he screams... Gave him the paci.
I know it's all crazy, sorry! And I'm just changing one prop for another but it's difficult to settle him...
He is in a 4 hour EASY, sort of...
Many thanks!  :-*

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 18:45:09 pm »
He's very young for a 4 hour EASY, usually recommended around 4 months and even then often too long a stretch for EBF babies. 3 hr is more usual at this age, and some don't even manage that!

If you are at all concerned he has reflux, keep a careful eye on symptoms and take him to the doc if you feel you need to.   

Some babies just are very sucky - my LO1 had a paci from about 3 days old, he really needed it to relax! If you think your guy is maybe comfort sucking then no harm letting him have a paci, I think.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Bella´s mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 20:41:48 pm »
He gets grumpy if I wake him up for a feed at 3 hours  :) and he is growing up and putting on weight well.
Thank you for your advice, I'll keep trying  ;)
Hugs,
Ju