Author Topic: EASY questions  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • The newest members
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 00:49:53 am »
Sorry for so many posts... I just keep running into hurdles and don't know what to do!!

I read the FAQ again and answered some of my own questions... but now... I have another.

Naps are usually happening after I rock her quickly in the rocking chair... but it's really quick because there is so little time left to swaddle and hit the bed!

Tonight, bedtime didn't work well either... I changed it up so that his last nap and bedtime went something like this (I generally aim for 9-9:30am waking)

E 6:30pm (just finished nap 3, last nap!)
A bouncer chair while mom and dad eat 7:10pm
A look at the blinds (she loves this!) for 15 min
   Get ready for bedtime - clean head to toe with sponge and into night time clothes
   I tried the massage again but this time she cried so I didn't do it.  Instead, we rocked in the rocking chair and then I sat on the floor and swayed her gently to calm her crying from the massage.  She seemed to like it the last 2 days!
E 8 pm...wanted to make it 8:30pm but she was starting to get really tired.
S 8:30pm but she cried for a bit and then fussed... finally conked out and left bedroom by 9:10pm

Dreamfeed 10:30pm

I keep thinking I'm doign something wrong.  Instead of shh pat... I had to resort to Cd music playing from the time I start the swaddle till she's out like a light.  Mostly because there is a lot of noise outside (dogs barking intermttently etc) and the CD I found really helped block out those random noises.  I pat her ONLY when she cries and stop as soon as she stops.

Any help is appreciated.  It seems that EASY works great for naps at the moment... at least she takes them without me rocking her!!  I just really wish bedtime would work.  Maybe I'm expecting this to happen too soon?! 

Thanks a bunch! :)
Wei

Offline NiknLily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 12:04:08 pm »
Hi Wei

This is getting a bit beyond me but here goes. 

Is it possible that she still hasn't quite grasped the whole night and day thing as this needs to be taught all baby's run on a 24hr clock until we teach them otherwise.  To help her do this we need very clear signals what is day and what is night.  So I think this is why you should try to stick to the same wake up time and bed time every day.  I have always tried to start the day at 7am, I know its early but you can go back to bed after A time. Even if they wake at 6 and feed try to get her back down till 7 then feed again, doesn't really matter if she doesn't take much as she is probably still full.  This will over a couple of days help establish that she doesn't get any A time with mum before 7am.

The next time I wouldn't mess with is bed time, now I know you said that she is most alert in the evening, this is maybe because of 2 things, firstly her little body clock may be telling her its morning and time to play or secondly she could well be overtired my DD also textbook/angel (with hint of touchy when tired) appears to be wide awake in evening after her bath she is all revved up, even tho I use calming bubble bath, calming baby wash and chamomile shampoo!  However I know that she is over tired like we get when we've gone past being tired and get a second wind.  So I try to not gee her up, although we have fun in the bath and she plays with some toys after while I'm doing her nappy and getting her dressed for bed, Its quite low key stuff.  If I let her play in this wide awake state for too long she then takes an age to settle.  One thing that seems strange as you would think baby massage before bed would relax them, but you shouldn't do baby massage on a tired baby, so probably earlier in the day is best.

The other thing to help establish day from night is not letting them sleep for too long at a time during the day.  Now I did say that I let my LO get the 1.5hr nap she should have regardless of how long it took to get her to sleep, thats fair enough, but you shouldn't let them sleep for long stretches during the day as this muddles the day night scenario.

So I would keep trying with the 3hr easy, always start your day at 7am, or as near as you can get, preferably not later than tho, and always try to get her to bed by 7/7.30 at night.  And at this age I was still cluster feeding as well. to get max I could in during day.

The other thing I noticed is that you may be doing too much for the last A time of the day, I also made this mistake, when they wake from evening catnap its best to feed her give her a bath then do lullaby and then bed.  This is because by the end of the day they have seen done and heard so much new stuff their little head is just ringing with it all, much like us if we've had a really big day our brain needs to process all this new stuff before we can fully rest. 

And I do think you are quite right EASY for me also worked like a charm during the day but bedtime was an entirely different issue.  If you read the posting's this seems to be a common issue.

So key points, stick to same wake up and bed times, don't let her sleep for longer than 1.5hrs at a time during the day, Don't do too much during last A time of day, at this age this A time is really just for feeding bathtime and bed.

Hope this is more help

Big hugs
Nik

Offline Wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • The newest members
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 19:41:42 pm »
Thanks Nik.

It seems some of the muddy sleep issues had to do with growth spurt but I do try to stay as close to the same time for bedtime and awake time as possible.

The thing that is never consistent is the nap times... sometimes 3 naps works out well for routine wise and it seems like on wonky days a fourth power nap has to come in so that I can get her to last up till the cluster feeds at 6 and 8pm... in bed by 8:30pm.

boy, this is tiring... I keep finding less Y time than I had before I started this EASY thing.  At least she sleeps without me rocking her.. if it wasn't for that, I'd probably have given up long ago.

Wei

Offline NiknLily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 09:35:06 am »
Hi Wei
Well it sounds like your getting there so congratulations for that.  Remember its not just baby's who take baby steps, its us new mums too.  Don't be put off by having wobbly days, we where still getting lots of wobbly days up until about 12weeks then everyting started to really settle down.  I found that I could tell it was going to be a wobbly day after the first E & A time and would say to myself "oh well so today isn't going to be so good but we'll try to get it right tomorrow".  If I didn't tell myself this I would spend the whole day agitated that it didn't seem to be working.  So remember to focus on the positive steps you've made, like her sleeping without being rocked, huge kudos for that one.
With regard to the 4th power nap this is normal at 6weeks, she should be getting 3 1.5hr naps and a catnap of about 45mins before the the first cluster feed at 6 to get her through the feed and bedtime routine so actually your wobbly days aren't wobbly at all but textbook in fact, the wobbly days are the ones with only 3 naps, however if she can get through the day and can settle at bedtime (within reasonable limits) without the last catnap then thats just fine too.  So in fact I'd say you've pretty much cracked it, all that you need now is time for the routine to settle in and for you to both get comfortable with it, which will come in the next few weeks.
Don't forget that once the routine has started to settle thats when it pays off as you will start to get more and more in-tune with your DD and be able to read her cues which is probably one of the most important things that comes from the EASY routine is it teaches you how to read baby and anticipate her needs, and a baby who's needs are met is a happy baby who will thrive in all areas of her development.  It's good for mum to know where you are in  the day and what comes next and even better for baby, she will be most content when she truly knows that mums in charge and knows what she's doing.
Lastly, trust me you will get your Y time back, it just takes the back seat for a while.
Nik