Author Topic: Where to start at 15 weeks? Need help please!  (Read 820 times)

Offline pjs0027

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Where to start at 15 weeks? Need help please!
« on: August 20, 2006, 06:18:26 am »
I just read the BW book and would like to implement it for my 15 week old son. (I wish I would have read it before he was born!!) However, we have many "accidental parenting" mistakes to fix.  First of all, I BF on demand (was told this was best for establishing trust and bonding).  I have let him fall asleep while BF from day one.  There are many reasons, and I don't mind, but I am also afraid of prolonging this as it will be harder down the road to change.  Also, his naps were so erratic that i now rely on putting him in his swing during the day and we are now on a consistent nap schedule of 2 - 3 hours twice a day.  Thankfully, he will sleep in his crib at night (9 - 2 and 3 - 6).  When he wakes at 6, I bring him to bed with me and we sleep until 9.  So the way I understand it, I need to break him of BF to sleep, sleeping in his crib for naps and structuring his feedings instead of on demand.  It all seems so overwhelming.  He is just getting through with his 3 month growth spurt where the "accidental" schedule I had him on went out the door.  So it should be a good time to implement some new more productive habits.  Oh, and he has silent reflux and we just got that under control with medication (Zantac).  I would say that he is pretty textbook with some displays of being spirited.  My WPQ is 2-3 and my husband isn't much help, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I am committed though to getting on a consistent schedule and just need to know where to start.  What should I tackle first?  BF to sleep?  Napping in his swing?  No more on demand feedings? 

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer.  Thanks!!

Paula

Offline Missie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Where to start at 15 weeks? Need help please!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 12:42:28 pm »
Hi Paula,

I'm no expert, in fact I'm just starting EASY with my DS at 22 weeks. However, I wanted to give you a bit of encouragement.
Have you seen the book The BS solves all your problems - in that there is a section on how to start EASY with older babies (pg 39-46). You must stick rigidly to the schedule - for example if your LO didn't get a full nap, even if only asleep 10mins - get her up at feeding time regardless - soon he will learn the routine, and you will break the AP issues. After that it gets a bit easier to be a bit more flexible.
I believe that breaking the feeding to sleep is the most important one to do first, after that the other issues may be easier.I had all the same problems as you, and have been trying since yesterday, already we have a good 4 hour eating schedule, we don't feed to sleep anymore, if only we could have longer naps then we would be sorted.

HTH

Missie
x

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: Where to start at 15 weeks? Need help please!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:43:42 pm »
hello Paula, and welcome to the boards,

since you will be starting, i recommend that you observe your baby for at least 3 days, and take notes on how much time does he nap, how often does he get hungry and all.

After you have done this, then check this link on how to start EASY on a baby 4months and older (i know he is 15WO, but he is almost 4MO) https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=69369.0

HTH