Author Topic: EASY Problems due to BF  (Read 1495 times)

Offline cmckenna

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 02, 2006, 12:52:17 pm »
Hello,

I have managed to fix a few problems but now realize that the route of the problem is my DD's eating habits.  We had her on a perfect 4 hour EASY routine up until about 6 weeks ago.  She was too stimulated by her surrondings that she refused to eat.  At first I thought that she wasn't hungry but last night she only ate at 10pm.  She woke at 6:30.  I kept the room dark and went to feed her right away.  She would not eat.  I tried every 30mins after that.  It was not until just before her nap that she wanted to eat.  She is using it as a prop to help get herself to sleep. 

Last night before bed she did the same thing.  I used to give her a bath, then feed her and put her to bed.  Last night I decided to feed her, bath her and then bed.  She would not eat so I decided to put her in her crib.  She began to scream.  I picked her right up and she ate.  She got very drowsy but woke up after her bath and went down ok (lots of patt/sush).  I am desperately trying to get her on a good eating schedule.  I feel that the sleep will follow when she no longers associates sleeping with the boob. 

It is amazing how quickly bad habits become a routine.  Any suggestions on how I can get her to focus on eating so I can keep a 4hr EASY schedule.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I have a toddler at home but am trying to go to a private, dark, quiet room to nurse.  She still finds something to play with:)  My 1st DD was easily distracted but my 2nd brings it to a whole new level.

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: EASY Problems due to BF
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 18:27:35 pm »
Hi,

How old is your lo?

Please can you posted a detailed description of your routine of what your day generally looks like.  E, A - What type, including your wind down routine and S - how long.

Thanks
Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline cmckenna

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 19:04:01 pm »
Sorry about that!  My LO will be 6 months this week.  Lately it has been as follows:

E 6:30am BF - as I mentioned will not usually eat.  i try to feed again before nap because she won't sleep if hungry
E 7:00am 2tbsp Cereal
A
S 9:00am (1.5 hrs)

E 10:30am
A
S 1:00pm (1.5 hrs)

E 2:30
A
S 5pm (might have a 30min catnap but recently very hard to get down)

E 5:30 (cluster feeding because still up at night)
E 2 Tbsp cereal
A
S 7:00 or 8:00 depending on weather or not having a catnap in afternoon.
Bedtime routine - bath, BF, books, bed

As I mentioned, she is basically refusing to eat at the scheduled E time and seems to only want to eat right before S.  This was never a problem before until about 6 weeks ago.

Also, any suggestions on the 3rd nap.  She doesn't seem to want it but it seems like a long time to go before bedtime. 

Many thanks!
Christine

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 19:12:40 pm »
Christine,

Is your lo teething?  Teething can be a big factor in why she is refusing to BF.  When teething, the sucking motion can really cause the gums to ache.  She may be finding it easier to feed when sleepy as it is not as sore.

Have you tried rubbing some teething gel on her gums before a feed - This usually helped with our DS.

Teething can also effect their sleeping routine, and this could also be a reason for her fighting to go down.

Let us know how you get on.

Paula x

Offline cmckenna

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 20:44:35 pm »
Hi Paula,

That is a good point but I really don't think it is teething because it has been going on consistently for so long.  She is very sensitive to her surrondings and can't seem to sit still long enough to nurse.  I really think she would go the entire day without eating if she could.

thanks
Christine

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 18:45:45 pm »
Have you tried nursing in a dark quiet room where there are no distractions?  This may help.

Paula x

Offline cmckenna

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 18:27:10 pm »
Hi Paula,

Yes, pretty much every feed right now is in a quiet dark room.  I basically have to put my toddler in front of the TV for 15mins every time I need to feed my DD.  However, it still doesn't work.  Right now the only thing that works is if I put her in her crib.  She will cry, I pick her up and feed her a bit until she gets distrated again.  This goes on about 5 or 6 times until she has eaten a few minutes each time.  I am sure she is getting no hind milk because I have to constantly swith from one boob to the other to get anything into her.  No wonder she is hungry all night long.  I also expect that she will start getting negative associations with her crib!!! EEEhh - I don' t know what to do!  She is 6 months this week and I have never had more then 2.5 hours of sleep in a row.  I am exhausted, grumpy and feel like there is no end in site!

Thanks for the advice!

Christine

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 19:41:06 pm »
Christine,

Have you done a yield to see how your supply is?  Is your let down maybe too slow for her nd she's getting frustrated?  Are you eating and drinking well?  It seems to me that is definitely a bf problem. Have you tried giving her EBM in a bottle with a fast flow teat to see how she eats then?

At that age my ds became *the* expert nurser and could drain my breast in about 3-4 minutes.  And when my letdown took a bit longer he would get so angry.  I recommend you up your liquid intake and maybe pump a bit before feeding her so you letdown before she's nursing. That way she has her milk instantly.

HTH

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline cmckenna

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 23:09:28 pm »
Hi Beca,

Thanks so much for the BF advice.  If anything, my letdown is too fast and I have too much milk.  I know this because today for example I changed my shirt 4 times due to leaking.  I have tried BF from the same side twice in a row but it doesn't seem to make a difference to her.  She will eat well while sleepy.  I used to wake her from her nap by feeding her so I could ensure she was eating. Now she is taking very short naps (20mins) so I can never seem to catch her before she wakes. 

For example tonight before bed, I fed her and she kept trying to roll off my lap.  She would suck for 3 or 4 seconds and then roll.  Once she begins rolling I can't get her back on.  Anyhow, I have put in a call to la Leche league for some assistance.  I seems to be a BF problem.  I will get to the bottom of it one way or another!!!

Thank god for this site!  All the advice has been amazing!

Christine

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 18:18:38 pm »
Christine,

Have you had a look at our BF board?

It might be worth posting on there too.

Paula x