Author Topic: Banana Milk Shake  (Read 2000 times)

Offline ConfusedMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 07, 2009, 18:08:48 pm »
Hi friends

DD, 18 month old, loves banana milk shake. She doesn't drink plain milk at all. And she is having her milk this way from long time when she first started on formula at age of 7 months. I was making banana water and used to add formula in it. Now, she is on regular milk but with bananas.

Should I be worry about this habit? She has around 1 and half banana this way through out the day.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Meeta

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Banana Milk Shake
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 18:16:04 pm »
Hi Meeta! If LO is resistant to non-banana milk, you can try adding a little bit less each day till it's mostly plain milk. You can also try adding different fruits - let her watch so she can be part of the learning and exploring - to make smoothies. :)

Note: we had NO luck with strawberry or raspberry smoothies till we strained them. ::) Those little seed things bugged both my kids. Peach can be good, tho, or you can add fruit juice instead of actual fruit, like peach or mango! Just make sure it's not loaded with extra sugar or corn syrup; the juice alone should be more than sweet enough! :)

Offline Mimi 2

• Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 18:17:46 pm »
I don't see a problem with it as long as there is no added sugar to it.  How many shakes does she have daily?  The only problem you might have is that in the future is that it will not be convenient to give her a banana shake all the time (on outings or in a restaurant, etc).  Also you really don't want her to expect it as a meal ALL the time.  Also like Deb suggested, you could slowly decrease the amount of bananas.

Both dd and ds loves fruit shakes but I usually give them about 2-3 times a week.
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline Diana1981

• Mama de Yeyo y Yoyo
  • Showing Appreciation 74
  • My angels
Re: Banana Milk Shake
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 03:43:54 am »
I think cutting down the bananas slowly is the way to go. experimenting with other fruits is a good idea. 
my ds loves papaya and banana, strawberry, peach, etc....

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around

Offline ConfusedMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 18:37:50 pm »
Hi friends
Thank you for your replies. Yesterday DD had her 18 month check-up and I mentioned her pediatrician about her drinking only banana milk shake. He said that, as far as she is eating other fruits and not getting constipated she should be fine. He also said that till 2yrs. it is important for her to get around 15oz. of milk and if that's the only way she is having milk than it's ok. He also suggested that once she will be old enough to understand than I can tell her that she can have banana shake if she finishes her plain milk.

Thanks again
Meeta

Offline ~emmalou~

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • ~~The road to a friends house is never long~~
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 18:56:19 pm »
We had to flavour dds special formula and then her rice milk, more important they get the milk and so I put whatever flavouring in it and she loved it! Think your ped gave you sound advice, same as what mine gave me! X
proud mum to my 3 gorgeous children

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum