Author Topic: Anyone ever make mini egg rolls?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
Anyone ever make mini egg rolls?
« on: June 19, 2006, 23:06:55 pm »
The poster child for "I won't even LOOK at anything new!"  ::) decided to not only try, but eat all of my mini egg rolls tonight!

They're store bought, frozen, and frankly have too much junk in them for him.  So I'd like to try making my own.  Has anyone ever made them before?

I was hoping you'd just buy the shells, wrap and bake....you are probably supposed to fry though. :-\

Also looking for different stuffing ideas - if he'll eat it in the egg shell wrap, maybe I coudl sneak other good things in there!  He's not one for any strong flavors though.....

Thanks in advance!!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

lilmonkey

Re: Anyone ever make mini egg rolls?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 18:00:10 pm »
Hi Tonya,

DD likes these too.  I just experimented with the recipe until I got the seasoning right.  Of course, dh and I loved them too.

1 lb of lean ground meat (pork, chicken, turkey - anything you want)
1 large egg
1 cup of grated veggies (onions, carrots, parsnips, any root veggies)
dash of soy sauce
salt & pepper - season to taste.

*  My sil is a vegetarian so instead of meat, she uses lentils, beans and extra firm tofu for the protein content. 

Mix really well before wrapping them.  I tend to make lots (60-75 rolls) and freeze them.  They store quite well ( about 4-6 wks) if you lay them out on a cookie sheet to freeze them overnight and then transfer them into a zip lock bag.  When you need them, just drop them straight into the deep fryer frozen for about 4-7 min on high until golden brown.  If you make them skinny (size of your index finger) then it doesn't take too long to thoroughly cook them.

I have never baked them but I might give it a try. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 18:05:17 pm by lil'monkey »

Offline Tonya

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 18:34:35 pm »
Thank you so much!!!

That was exactly what I was looking for!! ;D ;D ;D
Tonya

Offline stasztk dh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 00:05:56 am »
Tonya,

I'm a little more traditional when I make eggrolls.  I don't use a set recipe (I love to experiment too much to be "stuck" with a recipe), but I like to use bok choy (or other greens, if you prefer), carrots (thinly sliced or diced), thinly sliced green onions, finely diced celery and finely diced spinach.  I lightly steam the veggies after cutting them up.  We prefer no meat at our house, but you could add whatever meat you like (shrimp, chicken, pork, etc.) and season to taste.  We usually avoid soy sauce (too much sodium), but just a dash will add to the flavor.  Some good alternates we've found are Teriyaki sauce, or your favorite type of stir fry sauce.  Careful not to use too much!   ;)  When I make them I add no other seasonings, mostly just letting the veggies season the eggroll themselves.

When filling I pull out about 1-2 TBS for mini eggrolls, or for full-size rolls, about as much as you could hold in a clenched fist (sorry for the lack of exact measurements, like I told you, I don't use recipes!).  Squeeze or strain the mixture before putting it on the shell so that it won't be too moist when you cook.  Nothing worse than a soggy eggroll!  When I'm wrapping I keep a little bowl of water nearby, then when I'm done "stuffing," I fold the edges in, roll the eggroll and rub just a drop or two of water on the end of the wrapper to keep it closed while it's cooking.

Depending on which wrappers you use (If you go to the International foods section of your grocery store, they should have a couple of different brands/types.  As far as how they cook/taste, I haven't noticed a major difference.), you could bake or fry.  I usually fry mine, they just seem to turn out better. 

Good luck!
Scott
Proud husband of Teresa
and father of
Anthony
Shay
Zach
Tristan and
Kaitie

Offline Tonya

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 00:53:35 am »
Scott!!!  How cool of you to answer!!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the tips!!! I was wondering if you just sealed them with a drop or two of water....I was going to try that, anyways!!! ;)

Have you ever stuffed with anything besides egg roll "stuff"?  Meaning, using something other than veggies??  I'm so not creative when it comes to food, but I was thinking of using these wrappers for lots of different healthy stuff, since he seems to like it!!

Thanks again, and have fun on your trip!!! ;D ;D ;D  I'm SO jealous!!!
Tonya

Offline stasztk dh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 02:05:55 am »
Sure, Tonya, you could put just about anything in there.  Our kids love breakfast rolls: scrambled eggs, potatoes, cheese, meat (sausage, ham, turkey) and as many veggies as I can slip in. :)  Going back to your first post, if you're looking for an alternative to pulling out the deep fryer, if you're just doing mini eggrolls, you could pan-fry them just as easily.  If you're trying to cut the oil, baking is your best bet.

We're sure anxious for our trips this summer.  T & the kids just got their passports today, so we're all ready to go.  T can hardly contain herself.  We'll get a chance to see/meet so many BW's in our travels!  First up to the NW, then over to the UK meet-up in Leeds.  I'm sure T will keep everyone posted as we go.

Kindest Regards,
Scott
Proud husband of Teresa
and father of
Anthony
Shay
Zach
Tristan and
Kaitie