Author Topic: 10.5 month old and the dreaded school run!  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Nymphadora

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
10.5 month old and the dreaded school run!
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:26:15 pm »
Hi

My DS2 is a touchy/textbook baby- if i get it right it is so easy with him but if i get it wrong it is so wrong!!! He is 10.5 months and he will not STTN consistently. I feel unfortunately he has to fit in with his older sister who is now at school and we have the school run. His life is about to be turned upside down to as I am going back to work and he will be at nursery 2 mornings a week too.

He can STTN but is not consistent with it and TBH i would go in and feed him if he woke once we stopped the DF (at 8 months) so that he would go back to sleep and not wake my husband and daughter. He has been EBF and now will take some cows milk in a straw cup.

Since starting the school run our routine has consisted of...

7ish up and BF
9ish snack on way back in pram (walk to school- 1 mile each way)
10 BF and then sleep 2 hrs

12-12.30 lunch
2pm snack/ cows milk
4.30/5 sleep 30-45 mins.... always wakes up crying
5-5.30 tea
6.30 bath
7pm bf and bed

I tried dropping him to 1 big sleep of 2-2.5 hrs but it was too long to bedtime and couldn't always get him to 11/11.30 to do so. He has always preferred a longer nap in the morning and I will always wake him now at 2 hrs as then he will nap later on. But sometimes he refuses the catnap and then is so mega tired its hard to watch him.

He has become really resilient to sleeping anywhere for his big nap other than his own cot- which doesn't always fit with life!

Anyone got any tips or pointers- out night waking for the last 3 nights has been 11ish-1/2ish and then wish for a BF and then back to sleep to be woken at 7ish...

but yesterday he slept for 20 mins in car in the morning and then 30mins in the afternoon so was hard work!

I'm trying today to extend his awake time to 3 and 3/4 hrs to see if helps? think he is undeterred and overtired... is that possible?

TIA for any help x

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: 10.5 month old and the dreaded school run!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 13:59:20 pm »
think he is undeterred and overtired... is that possible?
Not entirely sure what you mean here ?

But if he's touchy then I would go slowly and carefully with extending A times, as touchies tend to be very sensitive to OT as well as OS. By all means extend by 15 mins and give him 3 days or so to catch up and see how he's doing.  But I would definitely not make a big jump all of a sudden.  And you don't want to get into a cycle of OT NWs either (yuck).

My touchy LO would not nap anywhere other than in his cot either so I can't really offer any tips on that sorry! Bear in mind that he's  10.5 months now, he is likely to transition to one big nap in the coming months.  Again, I would caution against rushing him even if it feels like it's the solution to your difficulties.

I wonder if his middle of the day A is too long  at 4.5 hours, and the following nap too short?  His first A is only 3 hours so there's a bit of an unbalance there..?  At his age, I would be tempted to push the AM nap a bit later, cut it shorter (say to 1.5 hrs) and bring his PM nap earlier too.  TBH, with my two, we always did the AM nap as the shortest so that the (early) PM nap could be longer and more restorative getting towards BT, but that might not suit you.  Perhaps you could say what your ideal day would look like?  You haven't mentioned the afternoon school-run?

Don't worry too much about nursery.  If it's only two days a week, he will adjust and you will be able to balance out and catch up if need be on days off.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Nymphadora

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 10.5 month old and the dreaded school run!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 14:38:30 pm »
sorry- afternoon pick up is at 3.10 so we leave at 2.45 then back by 3.45 (or later as on a monday DD1 does ballet at 3.45-4.30 and swimming on a friday at 4-4.30) which is why the afternoon nap is later as he won't fall asleep in the pram, if he does it will only be for 30 mins (u can set your watch!)

I meant he is a touchy baby but if i get it right for sleeps he acts more like a text book baby and will go to sleep within 5 mins of putting him down i his cot for his naps and i generally don't have to go back in... and he can self settle at night so its frustrating when he doesn't as you know something must be wrong but we can't seem to work out what it is  :-[ makes me feel like such a let down for him....

meant to say under tired and overtired- think undeterred maybe from 1st activity time not being long enough but i had tried to fix it so he could have a big nap before lunch as not really possible to have big nap after lunch as need to leave for school run at 2.45... and then overtired from length of time from nap and short nap till bedtime. Does that make sense?