Author Topic: Am I doing ssh-patt wrong?  (Read 853 times)

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Am I doing ssh-patt wrong?
« on: April 20, 2006, 21:43:49 pm »
Am I doing it wrong?

My son is able to fall asleep on his own once he is quite calm, unfortunately he awakes after 40min and has been doing so more often then not for 6 weeks or so.

My son seems to start to cry as soon as I start patt-ssh----I then pick him up and patt-ssh on my shoulder. Once he is calm I try again to do ssh-patt in his crib--sometimes he cries right away and other times he'll be drifting off to sleep only to start crying again 10min later---even though I have continued the patt-ssh.  I then have to pick him up again because he is screaming. It seems as though I am in his room  for over 1hour. I do not think patt--sh is really soothing him anymore---it was last week- now I feel that it s me holding him that he likes the best.  today i even resorted to letting sleep on me and then laying him in his crib b/c he has not had a decent nap all day.

Is it time to try pu/pd ----I only need to use it to extend his naps-he is now 11 weeks old. In all the examples of pu/pd it seems more for a parent trying to teach their kids to falll asleep initially after removing the use of a prop?
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Am I doing ssh-patt wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 15:52:30 pm »
  Have you tried patting or shh only?   He has gotten used to being held to sleep, not so fun after he gains some weight.   Pu/pd is also for sleeping when no props were used.  The ladies in that forum can help you fine tune that if you give it a try.  Mine still responds to patting, so not much experience there.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.