Author Topic: My housband donīt understand that our babies most sleep alone  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Niuvy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi! I am waiting for two babies and it is our first time ... I am reading the book "How to communicate with your baby" and I think that it is great and I am trying to read to my husband the most important tips but we are in disagree to each other because he say, one and again, that our sons will sleep with us almost for the first 3 months. I had explained that it is wrong but he don’t listen to me, how can I to make him understand that?

Thanks a lot,
 ;)

Niuvy

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola! Estoy esperando a dos bebes y es nuestra primera vez ... Estoy leyendo el libro "Cómo comunicarse con su bebé" y me parece que es genial y trato de leerle a mi esposo los mas importantes tips pero estamos en desacuerdo el uno con el otro porque el dice, una y otra vez, que nuestros hijos dormirán con nosotros por lo menos por los primeros 3 meses. Yo le he explicado que eso esta mal pero el no me escucha, ŋcomo puedo hacer para que el entienda?

Muchas Gracias,
 ;)

Niuvy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 02:53:32 am by Niuvy »

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: My housband donīt understand that our babies most sleep alone
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 02:51:23 am »
do you mean in the same room or in your bed, dd never slept in our bed, we were always to scared, i do wish that it would have been possible, i can't wait for the day that she can lay quietly next to me, i think that if you let your babies sleep with you it will become a habit that will be hard to break

Offline JennĐ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 03:13:28 am »
Welcome!!!  Are you having twins?  We also have a multiples board that can give you tons of support.   When are you due?   Does he say why he wants the babes with you? I agree that having dd in bed with us would have been too scary.  And just one more sleep issue to deal with at some point.   While you are definitely welcome to post over here, we have a Spanish board if you find that more comfortable.  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=72.0   Just another source of info for you.  It's great that you are thinking ahead like this.  Looking forward to seeing you around!!!   :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Niuvy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 15:11:04 pm »
Hi Russyl,

I mean, he wants sleep with our babies in our bed. Iīm trying explaining him in any ways that it is wrong but I donīt know what anything else tell him.

Thanks

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 15:26:21 pm »
Well, I don't think that sleeping in the same bed, like a family bed, is necessarily wrong. Many cultures all over the world do that, and sometimes for many years. Sometimes it's out of necessity, like a large family in a small house or apartment, and sometimes it's something that some families prefer to do. Instead of thinking of it as wrong, maybe it would be better to think of it as not practical. Unless you have a HUGE bed, it's going to be uncomfortable with two adults worrying about rolling onto a baby or a baby getting tangled in sheets and blankets, and two babies who will be stirring in their sleep and very possibly keeping you and your husband awake.

We didn't do the family bed in our home partly because we were worried about sleeping ON our babies (my husband is big-boned and heavy), and partly because our first baby (Josie) was Touchy and easily disturbed and I wanted to get her on a routine as soon as possible. That worked so well that with Natalie (my second) we just started her off in her room too.

With Josie I found that sleeping in my room with a monitor didn't work because my DH (dear husband) snored so loudly that I needed earplugs, and then I couldn't hear the monitor, so I ended up sleeping on the floor in Josie's room for a couple months. My DH also had shoulder surgery during that time, so it worked out well for us both. I could get to the baby easily, and he needed a bed without me turning over and getting in and out for a week or two while he healed.

Maybe if your DH is insistent that the babies have company in the same room at night, you could start them off in their own room and take a couple nights each sleeping in their rooms with them while the other parent gets less-disturbed sleep in the regular bed. If you are planning to use bottles for at least some feeds, you can express milk into bottles so that your DH can take some of the night feeds and give you better rest.

One other thing to consider is that right now yu don't know what your babies will be like. They may be wanting to have you around all the time, or they may actually PREFER to sleep alone - Josie probably would not have slept well in our bed unless she was actually sleeping ON one of our bellies, and Natalie ddfinitely preferred her own space. I found that no matter how many plans I made about how I'd do this and that and the other, the babies often had other ideas, and changing my plans to work with the way THEY were was MUCH MUCH easier than trying to do something that clearly was not going to work with my baby. In other words, maybe you want to give one strategy a try for a while, but be open to changing it if it doesn't work for your family - and also be open to changing it if it works for a while but then something different is needed later on. Make sense?

Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

Offline Niuvy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 15:32:57 pm »
Hi mouse mom,

I posted it in the Spanish board, itīs more confortable for me. Thanks.