Author Topic: my little flailer  (Read 821 times)

Offline sskarda

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 22, 2006, 20:09:27 pm »
Hello everyone!  I am new here, but I was hoping someone would have some advice for me.  My little Tyler had been doing great on his naps during the day- he loved to be wrapped up, and all I had to do was wrap him, tell him it was time to go to sleep, rock for a minute to transition and he would just look at me as I set him down and close his eyes for a nap.  Evenings were horrible though- he would go through a 2-4 hour period where if he wasn't in motion from bouncer, being rocked or walked then he would get mad (while in motion he thought life was fine).  But that wore him out so he slept through the night, so I was ok.  That was at 2 months.  Through his entire 4 month life though, he has never managed to sleep without being wrapped up- he just wakes himself up if he ever drifts off.

With that background, now he is getting much worse on the flailing thing.  He has gotten strong enough that he knows he can break loose of the blanket if he tries, and so he wakes himself up by flailing his arms and legs if I put him down before he is totally alseep.  The only times he doesn't flail is when he is in motion, as though that cancels his need for moving himself.  So now nap times are 5-15 minutes of me holding his limbs down as we bounce and walk and rock until he is totally out so I can set him down- if I set him down before he is totally out, he just flails all his limbs and can't get to sleep.  And the bigger problem is that now he can't settle himself when he wakes up mid-nap.  He seems to need me to hold the limbs down again before he can go back.  The problem doesn't seem to be the way that I wrap him- no matter how tightly his limbs are plastered down he still tries his best to fight it.

Any ideas?  Thanks for any help!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: my little flailer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:00:27 pm »
hello and welcome! 

check out this link to the Aussie swaddle - once you get the hang of it, it can contain even the best of Houdiinis!   :D

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=1439.0
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy