Author Topic: When do they stop fussing at sleep time?  (Read 948 times)

Offline mommytomackenzie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 23, 2006, 13:13:46 pm »
Hi,

My dd just turned 5 months old.  She's been falling asleep on her own for a while and usually does it pretty quickly.  I'm wondering, though, is it normal for her to still fuss when we put her down in the crib? If she goes into a full cry I'll go in and ssh/ptt for a little bit -- but usually she just fusses or does the mantra cry.  I'm just wondering if this will keep happening thorughout her infancy -- is it her temperment, developmental, or perhaps I'm missing her sleep window a bit?  She never fusses/mantra cries for more than 5-7 minutes, but I feel a bit bad that the 'going to sleep process' doesn't seem to be a pleasant one for her. 

Here's her routine:

7:00 - Awake
7:15 - BF
7:30-8:45 -Activity (quiet play towards the end)
8:45-9:00 - Wind down (walk around the house, soft humming)
9:00-10:30/11 Nap
11:00 - BF & Cereal
11:20-1:00 Activity (quiet play towards the end)
1-1:15 Wind down
1:15-2:45/3 Nap
3:00 - BF
3:15-4:45 Activity
4:45-5:15 (cat nap, if needed)
5:15 BF
5:30-7:00 Quiet Play
7-7:30 BF & wind-down (story, bath, song)
7:30-7:00am sleep (DF never worked for us, so she usually gets up once for BF between 2-4am)

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,
Nicole

Offline courtneyandmiles

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: When do they stop fussing at sleep time?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 13:35:00 pm »
My 7 mo. old STILL fuss/cries once I leave the room, ESPECIALLY if she's overtired (which she is when I'm trying to tweak her routine for developmental changes).  Like yours, she fuss/cries but doesn't NEED me.  Now, she's rolling to her tummy and cries about that like she's frustrated, but if I roll her back, she gets mad, and she rolls back anyway.  Today at naptime, she was overtired.  She rolled over, cried, I turned her over, she cried harder, then she mantra'd on her back w/ her washcloth lovey OVER HER FACE!

So I don't have an answer of when babies stop fussing at sleeptime; mine still does but goes to sleep ok.  She fusses less if she's not overtired.

BTW:  kudos to you!  Your EASY routine is AWESOME!  Right on target w/ what SHOULD be happening!  You're doing fine!

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 14:46:00 pm »
Still fussing here.  Either a couple of wails, then nothing, or mantra for a bit whil jamming her face into her 'phant lovey.  It seems to be just a baby body winddown thing if that makes sense.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline mommytomackenzie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 19:39:49 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I think I just wanted to make sure it wasn't only my litlte one!  :-)  Hopefully she'll grow out of it eventually.  But she's such a happy little gal the rest of the day, I suppose I shouldn't worry about it too much!

Have a good day,
Nicole

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 19:43:48 pm »
The fussing won't go away :) BIL and SIL are 12 and 14 and still fuss... But with consistency you can minimise the fussing and reduce the fussing to temper...