Author Topic: 5mo bad napper... Can't seem to extend 1st A time or nap  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 5mo bad napper... Can't seem to extend 1st A time or nap
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 12:21:19 pm »
 :D

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 03:41:39 am »
Hi :) I'm back with a much better baby, but our routine still needs tweaking. In the past week he has sort of been doing this.. But I can no longer extend the am nap :( also he has been waking later..

Wu 7:15
Nap 9:15/9:30-10/10:15 (he will not stay up past 9:15 still!)
Bf 10:15
Is often clingy and not entirely happy during this A time

Nap 12:15-1:45/2 (will fuss to go down..ot? And wakes at 30/35 mins and usually I can resettle)
Bf 2

Nap 4/4:15-4:45/5
Quick bf after waking cos I haven't done solids yet..he's getting constipated even on just a few spoons of pears?!

Bf 6:45 at bedtime
Asleep by 7:15 usually.

Nw was great till 11 pm last week but yesterday was awake every 45 mins :(
Usually feeds at 11/3/6

What do you think I should do?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 12:25:56 pm »
It's definitely looking like an UT first nap then OT second nap isn't it?

I would look at slowly extending that first A to get a decent first nap in hun. I really think it's throwing the rest of your day out having the nap so early. I don't think you're too far off considering he's grizzly during the as time after it.

Try adding on 15mins and holding for 3 days. I would expect you'd need to be closer to 2.5hrs rather than 2 but if we take it slowly we can see how he copes.

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 03:40:55 am »
Thank Kelly :) I was just wondering..I know there's some mums out there that have a shorter first A time and a shorter morning nap, then a longer second nap. I think it is called a 2-3-4 schedule? Or the weissbluth method? I never did that with my other kids because I had the luxury of staying home in the afternoon. But since we can't be home at 2:30-4 during the time of the second nap (if he had a long am nap after extending that first A time, ) I'm wondering if something like that might work instead? He seems to naturally want that early am nap?! Do you have any ideas on that? Or the other option I guess is a long am nap and then two catnaps after that? I just don't see how two long naps will work with the silly school pick up :(

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:23:41 am »
Feeling for you hun, it must be so difficult with another two as well!

I've heard of that method but for us it would have never worked. A nap too early in the am encouraged emw and mine likes a shorter A to bed even now.

Some lo's do like a shorter Aa in the morning, however I do think for you and your LO that's throwing the rest of your day out. If he really does want a shorter first A and you're happy with the shorter nap, it might be worth working on reducing the second A and playing around with it to find what time works well to get in a decent nap later on. That might be the key to to and work around the school runs. I would reduce it by maybe 15mins than you did before and perhaps try w2s? Wdyt? X

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »
I don't know how the stars and the planets were aligned yesterday but we had a good day! I think it was because he was up at 6 am!

Wu 6
Nap 8:30-9:50 (he fell asleep on the school run and stayed asleep when I put him in ergo.  Then I went for coffee!)

Nap 12:20-2!!!!! (Wait for it....it was in the cot! I just sat there and around 45 mins he stirred but I held his arms. Have tried in the past but never worked before) in the end I had to wake him around 2 to feed before pick up time.

Nap 4:10-4:40 ( resisted it a bit...) but had it anyway.

Bt - 6:45

tried a repeat of this today because e was up at 6 again...but it didn't work :(

I wonder if I were to do w2s what time should I try? Clearly from yesterday he needs more A time for a good nap isn't it? He's is 25 wks tmro.. Is 2.5 hr a good starting point I wonder..

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 11:42:54 am »
That's amazing! Pity it didn't work out again.

Yep, I'd stick with the 2.5hr first A again and try w2s at about the 35mins mark. At least you know he has an exact 45mins sleep cycle as he did stir then.

If it's doesn't work, you could always add another 10mins onto the A time tomorrow x

P.s a coffee and a 1hr 40 Y time! Let's hope we can get that again eh?!  ;)

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 08:46:25 am »
Thanks Kelly :)

For the past few days he's been resisting the cn and today outright refused for the first time!

Here was our day
Wu 6:20
Nap 9-10:26 ( fell asleep in car on way to dd music class then transfer to ergo )
Nap 12:30. - 2:30 :) had to resettle I between then fed while sleeping till 3
Am doing ebt at 6 now

If he's ready to do transition to 2 naps how on earth do I achieve the 2:30-4 nap? I'm out doing pickup right at that time :(

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 11:23:43 am »
Hugs hun, think it may be a little difficult to do nap times when you're out doing the school run. Hopefully some others might chime in to let you know what they do?? Or else might be worth posting on the 3-2 transition board to see if anyone has any thoughts too? So sorry I haven't any experience with it only having the one LO. Maybe ask me in a few years time  ;)

My only thought is perhaps for a little while you might have to do what you do in the morning? It will only be for a couple of months at worse until his A times increase again. I suppose the bonus is is that you have a LO that'll sleep anywhere! Xx