Author Topic: 2-1 how to proceed??  (Read 809 times)

Offline Jbla17

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
2-1 how to proceed??
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:15:52 am »
Hi ladies,

My DD is just over 10 months old and her a times are around 4 hours. Up until recently we were doing this:

A 7
S 11
A 12:30
S 4
A 4:30-4:40
Bed 7:15 ish

She has not been having the arvo catnap for around a week now and has been sleeping well for her first nap as always. Either she might have 10 mins or so or not sleep at all just lying in the cot and eventually cries for me. I tried to push her A to 11:30 today which was no problem but she still only slept an hour and forty mins. I'm unsure whether to try and APOP a quick nap around 4:30 which I don't think will work or just early bed. It's still a long time to bed but she has done it the last few days because I'd that refused nap. She generally sleeps through. If I put her down at 11:30 and she only sleeps til 1:10 it's not long enough for one nap. How do I get around this?? I need her to sleep 2-2.5 hours to make it work. She has done this once a few weeks ago....

Oh the joys TIA x

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 2-1 how to proceed??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:08:08 pm »
You'll have to keep pushing out that first A hun. If she's definitely refusing that afternoon CN more often than not, it might be time to make the jump to one nap.

I would hold the 11.30 for another day or so, then push again to perhaps 11.45 or 12 and hold for a week and do an EBT if the nap is less than 2hrs or so.

It gets difficult to apop a quick CN the more you push the first A I found, so EBT worked wonders here. It doesn't work for everyone though and be mindful of how much sleep you're expecting out of them. It's great she does a near 12hr night atm, but if she sleeps 1.5hrs for her nap, then don't try and do too early of a BT as she'll have her 12hrs + 10mims and be awake earlier and earlier. That being said, too much A before BT can cause OT early NW's but that's to be expected when you first transition.

You may find she'll need the odd two nap day to help correct any OT. What worked well here was although we used to do long am, short pm naps that when I wanted to correct any OT or if she woke too early in the morning, I'd do a quick 10mins CN around 9 (might be around 10 for your routine), then did usual nap time 2-2.5hrs later.

Offline Jbla17

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:03 am »
Thanks for that! It makes a bit more sense when someone explains their own experience. She is right in the middle of a wonder week at the moment and she is WELL out of sorts! Last night she screamed the house down from 2-4am this is an extremely rare occurrance, she also refused bed at 7pm and fell asleep on me at 8. That was after nap ending at 1:10!! So there is other stuff going on with her at the mo which I think I just have to ride out. It's so hard as usually she is so happy and playful, today blithering 30 min nap mess  :'(
Try to get through this before worrying about one nap is probably the way to go!!

Thanks again x

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:21:55 am »
A ww can cause OT anyway in this house, never mind that extremely long A to bed. Perhaps let her get caught up over the next few days by doing two naps (if she'll take them!) and try again next week? Keep me posted xx

Offline Jbla17

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:14:44 am »
Yep definitely trying to catch her up on sleep. Yesterday was 45 min total!! Eeeek. But today she had her nice long nap in the morning and again refused her catnap so just did early bed and she was fine with that. I won't wake her from her morning nap tomorrow and see what happens  :)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 11:44:07 am »
Hopefully you got a decent wu to push out the nap, it's always a tricky one! I tried for an afternoon nap for a long time because at least then, I offered! It was up to her if she took it or not. I think the quiet time helped somewhat, then EBT.