Author Topic: Which Pasta Shape?  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Which Pasta Shape?
« on: January 28, 2011, 21:35:05 pm »
Weird question but wondering if your toddlers, particularly the picky ones, have a favorite pasta shape - one they will eat over others? DS used to do well with fusili/rotini, penne and mini wagon wheels but lately refuses them (whether with sauce, just buttered or whatever) outright - as well as larger ziti noodles and the like. Trying to decide what shape to try next that might work - he's too young to really pick out his own yet...

TIA!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 21:43:28 pm »
My DS likes egg noodles.. I think because they are a lot softer than many of the " shaped" pastas. HTH.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Which Pasta Shape?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 22:05:56 pm »
DD will eat any shape! She is a big pasta fan!

Have you tried using tthe really small pastas, like pastina? I used to cook them up real quick and mix them w/ sauce and veggies. Was a big hit!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 22:40:44 pm »
What about shells?  Those are fun!  Or just getting fettuccine and letting him slurp them up!   :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 22:55:57 pm »
Egg noodles used to be a big hit but lately he thinks chicken noodle soup (and thus egg noodles) are tools of the devil (along with blueberries apparently). He doesn't like to pick up spaghetti or fettucine (never has). Used to like shells but they are apparently no good anymore either.

He used to eat orzo but it's been a long time. Maybe will try that or pastina again soon - though he's not able to feed himself something like that yet and is lately only letting me feed him yogurt, applesauce and occasionally soup.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 22:58:27 pm »
what about ravioli?  gnocchi? 

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 22:59:01 pm »
Corkscrews?  Or is that too rotini-like.  What about bowties?  Elbow macaroni?  I think we've covered all the kinds, lol.  What if you bought the vegetable varieties that are different colours?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 23:04:36 pm »
I might try radiatore or corkscrews. Or try the colored ones. Argh...

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 08:38:07 am »
My kids are not fussy about pasta, but my 62 year old mother (who does still have all her faculties) insists that they taste different and refuses to eat Penne  ::)
]

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 08:58:21 am »
Ok - this has made me realise how rigid Ben is about pasta!! He has dried spaghetti broken into smaller bits before it's cooked. Sometimes he will have fusilli and he has just started eating a piece of our fresh tortellini if DH and I have it. 

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 11:58:09 am »
DS also likes the Spongebob mixes but he has never seen the cartoons.  I think the pasta was the right texture for him :P

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 15:07:02 pm »
Spencer will only eat spaghetti, other pasta gets tossed aside.  Masyn used to be adventurous and eat all kinds, but she usually only likes spaghetti and elbow macaroni now, sometimes tortellini.
Heidi

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 17:08:10 pm »
Success!!! Was at the grocery store this morning and bought a box of tri-colored radiatore and also a frozen kids meal. The kids meal is from a new brand called Kidfresh. It's all natural - no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. The one I got is wagon wheels mac+cheese - it's mini wheels with a sauce from creamy cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Plus hidden veggies (in this case carrots) in the sauce. He was SUPER hungry for early lunch around 11:15 (after almost no breakfast) and inhaled almost the entire meal (the whole thing is 270 calories - 12g protein, 4g fiber and no sugars). Also 20% Vit A.

Now, how do I recreate this at home so I don't have to buy an expensive single meal each time? I can easily buy mini-wheels and use both cheddar and mozzarella in my sauce but he's so picky about textures - if it feels different he won't try it. This wasn't too mushy and the sauce really congealed some and stuck to the pasta (not loose and gloopy or messy). Ingredients from back of box are pasta (durum wheat semolina), water, cheeses (cheddar, monterey jack and part-skim mozzarella), cream, carrots, canola oil, skim milk powder, corn starch, sea salt, natural flavor (maltodextrin, whey solids, natural cheese flavor, disodium phosphate, salt).

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 17:55:56 pm »
sorry i have never really had Mac n Cheese.. (ok i lied once or twice)....  Aren't there recipes from the meal planning threads?? 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 18:07:06 pm »
Well looking at the ingredients it looks like they melted the cheeses with cream and then thicken with the corn starch (needs to be mixed with liquid first)??

How about adapting this recipe??

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cheese-sauce/Detail.aspx
or http://yvonneandmason.galganov.net/recipes/cheesesauce.html